Filters can help you place limits on how people in your household can use Google Home. You can use Filters to do things like block access to music with explicit lyrics, or define which video services are enabled.
Set up Filters
If you’ve never set up Filters and/or Downtime before, please see Set up Digital Wellbeing.
Note: Only the person who set up the Google Nest device can set up and manage Digital Wellbeing.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Settings Digital wellbeing Set up Next.
- Note: You can tap Skip to skip setting up filters. You can always come back to set up filters later.
- Choose who you want the filters to apply to.
Everyone - Filters apply to everyone using your Google Home.
Only Supervised Accounts and guests - Filters apply only to Google Accounts managed with Family Link and guests. The filters you select will not be applied to your account or unsupervised accounts.
- Select the devices you want the filters to apply to tap Next.
- Video - Only plays videos from YouTube Restricted Mode, YouTube TV Filtered Mode, and YouTube Kids. You can also block all video content or allow all video services without any filtering.
- Music - Choose whether to block explicit music, all music or no music.
Note: No filter is 100% accurate, but if you select to block explicit music it should help avoid most mature language and themes.
- Additional controls - Choose whether you’d like to block any of the following set of features on Google Home.
- Calls & messages - Block calls and messages through Google Home.
- Assistant answers - Limit Assistant answers to basic subjects like weather.
- Actions- Block third party Assistant actions that aren’t designated as Family Friendly.
- Tap Next to begin setting up Downtime.