You can block explicit music and video content from YouTube and other music/radio services from playing on Google Nest and Google Home speakers and displays and linked devices.
Note: If Digital Wellbeing is enabled, this feature may be restricted or blocked by Downtime, Filters or Do Not Disturb.
Digital Wellbeing and Filters
With Digital Wellbeing, you can use Filters to control explicit music and video content, as well as Assistant answers, Assistant Actions and calls.
Filters can be applied to everyone using your Google Nest or Home speaker or display or just supervised accounts and guests.
Please click here for more information on Digital Wellbeing and Filters.
To set up Filters:
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Settings . Digital Wellbeing Set up Next.
- Note: You can tap Skip to skip setting up Filters. You can always come back to set up Filters later.
- Choose who you want the Filters to apply to.
Everyone – Filters apply to everyone using your speaker or display.
Only supervised accounts and guests – Filters apply only to Google Accounts managed with Family Link and guests. The Filters that you select will not be applied to your account or unsupervised accounts.
- Select the devices that you want the Filters to apply to tap Next.
- Video – Only plays videos from YouTube Restricted mode, YouTube TV Filtered mode and YouTube Kids. You can also block all video content or allow all video services without any filtering.
- Music – Choose whether to block explicit music, all music or no music.
Note: No Filter is 100% accurate, but if you select to block explicit music it should help avoid most mature language and themes.
- Additional controls – Choose whether you’d like to block any of the following set of features on your speaker or display.
- Calls and messages – Block calls and messages through your speaker or display.
- Assistant answers – Limit Assistant answers to basic subjects like weather.
- Actions – Block third-party Assistant Actions that aren’t designated as family-friendly.
- Tap Next to begin setting up Downtime.