The Nest Cam with floodlight is designed to replace an existing floodlight and requires a connection to your home’s power that provides 100 to 240 V AC, 50/60Hz. If you want to install the floodlight in an area that doesn’t have an existing power connection and you need a junction box installed, or if you want help installing the floodlight, contact a pro.
What you’ll need for installation
Before you begin, make sure that you have the following tools available:
- Philips screwdriver
- The hex key that comes with your floodlight
- Ladder, if necessary
- A power drill
- A spirit level
Add your camera to the Home app
To begin, set up your camera with the Home app. When the app asks you which product you are adding, make sure that you select Nest Cam with floodlight.
- The app has the full instructions you will need to install your floodlight and will take you through the installation step by step.
- When your floodlight is installed, it will also show you how to set up your camera
- Make sure that you turn off power to your current floodlight at the circuit breaker or fuse box to protect yourself and your system. Try to turn your current floodlight on to make sure that the power is off.
- Take pictures of your current floodlight’s wires to use as a reference later.
- After you’ve removed your old floodlight, wrap the power wires around a pencil to keep them secure.
- If you want to paint the mounting plate cover, make sure that you use water-based paint. Do not paint your camera. Learn more about painting Nest products.
- After you’ve set up your camera and floodlight, you can adjust the floodlight settings in the Home app.
- Important: Nest Cam with floodlight is designed to be mounted upright on vertical surfaces. Installing it any other way (such as horizontally, sideways, upside down or at an angle) may reduce the floodlight’s functionality by limiting the motion sensor’s field of view.
Troubleshoot if needed
If you have any issues during setup or testing, here are some quick tips.
Floodlight doesn’t turn on when you test it
After you’ve installed your floodlight and turned the power back on, your floodlight will turn on for 30 seconds. If it doesn’t turn on, turn off the power to your floodlight and check that your wires are connected and that the terminal blocks are screwed on tightly.