You’ll need a Google Account in order to create a new account to use with the Nest app. If you don’t have one, first follow these instructions to create a Google Account. Then, follow the instructions below to create your Nest app account.
Note: If you’ve signed in to any Google product before (like Gmail, Maps, or YouTube), you may already have a Google Account. You can use the same username and password you created for that product to sign in to any other Google product or service, including Nest.
If you can't remember signing into a Google Account, check for an existing account. You'll get a message “No account found” if there isn't a Google Account associated with your email address.
How to create a new Nest app account
- Download the Nest app on your phone or tablet from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- On the Nest app home screen, select Sign in with Google.
- If you have a Google Account, you’ll be prompted to use it to sign in. Select Continue.
- Select the Google Account you want to use in the Nest app, or select Use another account if you have an existing account that’s not listed.
- You’ll need to let the Nest app access specific data from your Google Account. Select Info for more information on what will be shared Allow.
- You’ll be asked if you have an existing non-migrated Nest Account. If you're creating a brand new account, select No.
- Follow the instructions in the app to now set up your home.
How to know if you need a Nest app account
While you won’t need a Nest app account to use all Nest products, you’ll need one to access and control your Energy, Safety and Security products (except Nest Thermostat) with the Nest app.
For details about which features are available with and without a Nest app account, find your product in the list below:
- Google Nest thermostats and Google Nest Protect (except Nest Thermostat)
- You can use basic functions on these products without an account.
- You’ll need an account to access features such as phone notifications, remote control with the Nest app and home automation features. To use these features, create a Google Account and add your products to your account in the Nest app.
- Google Nest cameras and doorbells
Note: This applies to the Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Cam IQ Indoor, Nest Cam Outdoor, Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, and Nest Doorbell (wired). Newer product such as Nest Cam outdoor or indoor (battery), and Nest Doorbell (battery) require a Google Account and Home app.
- You’ll need an account to set up these products.
- You’ll need an account to receive real-time motion and sound notifications and video footage.
- Google Nest Secure (including Nest Guard, Nest Detect and Nest Tag)
- You’ll need an account to install these products.
- You’ll need an account to control your system with the Nest app, and get notifications.
- You can set up a passcode or Nest Tag for family or guests to have Home Entry Only access. An account is not required for people using Home Entry Only access.
- Google Nest × Yale Lock
- You can use its basic functions without an account.
- You’ll need an account to use the Nest app to lock and unlock your door, easily set or change passcodes, set custom entry schedules for guests, receive notifications on who has locked or unlocked your door at a specific time, get an alert when the lock has a low battery, and disarm Nest Secure upon unlocking your door.
- Software updates
- All your Nest products must be connected to the internet to download software updates.
- All your Nest products except for your Nest thermostat need to be added to an account to connect to your home Wi-Fi network.
Note: To control other Google Nest products, including Nest Thermostat, you’ll use the Google Home app with a Google Account. You can control some Energy, Safety and Security products with the Home app as well.