Google Nest & Chromecast security tips
Anyone who can access your home network may also have access to the devices -- like Chromecast -- that are part of it, so it’s important to keep your home network secure. Here are some recommendations to help keep your Google Home & Chromecast devices secure on your network.
Keep your WiFi network secure
- Keep your router firmware up-to-date to ensure the best performance and device compatibility.
- Make sure your WiFi network is protected with a strong password.
- Update your WiFi password periodically to ensure that only devices you trust are using your network.
- Only give your network name and password to people you trust.
- Use a security protocol, such as WPA2, to further protect your network and ensure device compatibility.
Check your advanced router settings
- Using a web browser, open your router settings.
- Navigate to the Port Forwarding setting.
- Consider deleting ports 8008, 8009, and 8443 if they're listed. These ports may be unsafely exposing your devices to the internet.
- Save your changes if needed.
If you need assistance accessing your router settings or want more information on your network's overall security, contact your internet service provider or the manufacturer of your router or gateway.