Listen to news
With Google Home, you can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like sports, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item.
Use your voice to enjoy news
Here are some ways to talk with your Google Assistant on Google Home when choosing and listening to news reports and headlines:
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or “Hey Google," then...|
|Listen to the latest news||“Catch me up," “Listen to the news," "Tell me the news"|
|Listen to news from specific provider||“Listen to NPR News," "Play BBC Minute"|
|Listen to the latest news about a specific news category||“What’s the latest in sports/business/technology?”|
|Pause||"Pause" or "pause the news"|
|Resume||"Resume" or "Continue playing"|
|Stop||"Stop " or "Stop the news"|
|Play next news story||“Next”, “Skip”|
|Rewind||"Rewind," "Rewind x seconds/minutes"|
|What’s playing (news)||“What’s playing?”
“What news is playing?”
Other ways to control news
|To do this:||Touch the device like this:||Image|
|Play / Pause / Stop||Tap once on the top of the device|
|Turn up the volume||Swipe clockwise on the top of the device.|
|Turn down the volume||Swipe counterclockwise on the top of the device.|
|Start your request||Press and hold down on the top of the device|
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google Home device.
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top right corner of the Home screen, tap Devices to see your available Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the Google Home.
- On the device card, you will see the newscast and title that is currently playing.
- You can stop, pause, resume, and adjust the volume of the newscast from the device card—the same way you control your music.
Set your default news services on Google HomeSet your default news services on Google Home
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the triangle to the right of the account name.
- Tap More settings News .
- You’ll see a list of news sources that will play when you say “Ok Google, listen to news."
To change the order of the list,
- Tap Change order hold the hashmark next to the news source. Drag the news source up or down.
To customize this list,
- To add a news source, tap Add news sources tap the check mark next to the sources you want to add.
- To remove a news source, tap the X next to the source you want to remove.
Supported news categories
|World||Art + Lifestyle|
If you're not hearing the news you expect,
- Make sure you've chosen your default news services.
- Be more specific with your request.
Elise is a Google Home expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.