Video Builder is a free, self-service tool that animates static assets—images, text, and logos—with music from our library. You can choose from a variety of YouTube-optimized video layouts based on your message and goals, customize visual aspects like colors and font, and quickly generate a short YouTube video (6 seconds, 15 seconds, or 16 seconds). Video Builder is currently available in English only, but supports various languages when creating a video.
Before you begin
Before you can use Video Builder, you’ll need to request access using our form. Most requests are handled within 5 business days.
In the form, enter all required information. The email address that you provide in the form should be the same email address that you use for your Google Account. If you’re not sure, check if your email address is connected to a Google Account. If you don’t have a Google Account, connect your non-Gmail email address to a Google Account.
To open Video Builder, go to http://director.youtube.com/videobuilder. If you don’t have access yet, you will see an error message.
Additional Video Builder requirements
- Access to a YouTube channel: The Google Account needs to have “Owner” or “Manager” permissions to a YouTube channel where the generated videos will be automatically uploaded by Video Builder. If you don’t have a YouTube channel for your business, you can create a new YouTube channel. If the YouTube channel is managed by someone else in your business, the person who manages the channel should give your Google Account “Owner” or “Manager” permissions to the channel.
- Images and logos: You should have legal rights to use all images or logos in the video. For example, these could be images or logos from display or print campaigns, social media assets, your website, or even pictures you’ve taken yourself.
- The latest version of Google Chrome: Video Builder is optimized for Google Chrome, so we strongly recommend using it to avoid any issues. Make sure to sign in to Chrome with the same Google Account you submitted in the form. If not, you’ll see an error message when you try to access Video Builder.
- In Google Chrome, go to Video Builder.
- Choose a video layout, then click Use layout. You can review the asset requirements and watch a sample video for each layout.
- Choose a brand color you want to use in the video.
- To add a logo, drag and drop from your computer or click Choose image.
- To add images to your video, drag and drop from your computer or click Choose image. The maximum file size for images is 2 MB.
For best results, follow the recommended styles, sizes, and orientation for images highlighted in Video Builder. As you upload new images, use the “Storyboard” panel at the bottom of Video Builder to preview the layout of video.
- Add text (such as a call-to-action or URL) to your video.
- Choose a font for all text in your video. All fonts come from the Google Fonts catalog.
If you use non-English languages for the text in your video, you may encounter character limits. To make sure that your text renders properly in the video, select a font that supports the language the text is in. If you’re using special characters (for example, “ñ”, “ç”, “ć”), use any font under the “Latin Extended” options. Custom fonts aren’t supported.
- Choose the music you want to include in the video. To hear a sample of the music, click the play icon.
You can only use the music available in Video Builder. Custom music isn’t supported.
- Click Create video. Depending on the layout you selected, it may take a few minutes to generate the video. You’ll be able to preview the video before uploading to a YouTube channel.
- Select a YouTube channel where you want to upload the video, then enter a name for your video. The video will be uploaded to the YouTube Channel as “Unlisted”. To make changes to your video privacy settings or update additional video settings (such as the video description, thumbnail image, or tags), use YouTube Studio.
- Click Save video to upload the video to the selected YouTube channel. After you save the video, you can share the video with collaborators, embed the video on your website, or create a video campaign through Google Ads.
- If you want to make changes to the layout of the video, click Edit video. Avoid closing the tab where you created the video. If you do, you’ll have to create a new layout in Video Builder.
Frequently asked questions
I received a confirmation email that my email address has been approved to access the tool, but I still see an error page when I try to access the tool. What do I do?
The email address that you provide in the form should be the same email address that you use for your Google Account. If you’re not sure, check if your email address is connected to a Google Account..
If the email address isn’t connected to a Google Account, connect your non-Gmail email address to a Google Account.
Note: Make sure to sign in to Chrome with the same Google Account you submitted in the signup form. If not, you’ll get an error when you try to access Video Builder.