Conversion tracking starts with you creating a conversion action in your Google Ads account. A conversion action is a specific customer activity that is valuable to your business. Before you start, you can set up a new conversion category by following the instructions in Set up conversion tracking for your website.
When creating a conversion action, you can select the conversion category that best describes this action, which can be useful when segmenting your conversion reporting data by category.
Starting in May 2020, you can choose from an expanded list of conversion categories. This expanded list provides more granularity to describe the conversion actions that are the most meaningful for your business.
How it works
Starting in May 2020, when you sign in to your Google Ads account you will be prompted to update your current conversion categories to the new conversion categories, for each conversion action. The updated conversion categories provide more granularity to describe the conversion actions that are the most meaningful for your business.
Previously, you could select the following categories to classify your conversions:
You can choose from the following expanded list of conversion categories when you set up or update conversion tracking for your website:
Updating your conversion categories
If you haven’t already, you should update your existing conversion action categories now and start getting more relevant reports.
Google Ads offers a default suggestion that is a best guess based on the previous conversion category. Make sure you carefully review and modify those suggestions to ensure the correct conversion categories are selected. It’s important to have the correct conversion categories selected so you can accurately segment your campaign performance. Updating your conversion categories will not have an impact on Smart Bidding or campaign performance.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the upper right corner, click the tools icon , and under "Measurement," click Conversions.
- Click Update now in the conversion categories notification in the center of the page.
- Review the suggested updated conversion categories and click Update.
Google Ads API users
- If you are using the Google Ads API, the new conversion categories are already available. No further action is needed.
- If you are using the AdWords API, you can read about conversion category changes in AdWords API, Google Ads API, and Google Ads scripts, which explains how you are impacted. Since there won’t be a new version released for the AdWords API, the new conversion category types will be translated per the mapping described in the blogpost.