Ad suggestions are variations of your existing text ads that may boost performance of your Smart campaigns.
Research has shown that ad groups with three or more high-quality ads can get up to 5% to 15% more clicks or conversions than ad groups with only one ad. The more ads you provide, the more options you’ll have to show the ideal message to each customer.
- Save time in creating variations of your existing ads
- Free optimization of ad copy
How ad suggestions work
Ad suggestions are surfaced in your account dashboard for you to review, where you can choose to apply, edit, or dismiss them. Ad suggestions marked as auto-apply will start serving after seven days if no action is taken.
Ad suggestions that auto-apply will appear on your dashboard with the tag “Auto applied ad suggestion,” and Google will also notify you in various ways that these ads have been created. You have control over whether to apply, dismiss, pause, or edit them.
If you have ads running in English, you may automatically see ad suggestions on your account dashboard. Since ad suggestions are only offered to ad groups in which there is potential for performance improvement, you probably won’t see changes in the vast majority of accounts or ad groups – you may only see a few ad suggestions per account.
When new ad suggestions are set to auto apply, you’ll be notified in the following ways:
- An email with a link to review ad suggestions. Update your email alerts
- In your Google Ads account, an alert will appear near the Notification icon , letting you know that ad suggestions will soon auto-apply.
- When you click on the Notification icon , it will state the day when ad suggestions are set to auto-apply and will invite you to review the ad suggestions.
- Your dashboard also indicates when ad suggestions will auto-apply, and invites you to apply or dismiss them.
- Any ad suggestion that becomes auto-applied after seven days will be labeled as an “Auto-applied ad suggestion” on your dashboard.
- From your dashboard, you can apply, dismiss, or edit individual ad suggestions.
- Once ad suggestions are applied, you can edit, remove, or pause them – just like regular ads.
- You can control ad suggestion settings through your account settings.
If any of your ads in the ad group have limited approval, or have been disapproved, ad suggestions will not be created for that ad group. This may include ads that fall under categories like gambling, alcohol, pharmaceutical, and payday loans. Learn more about limited approval ads
How ad suggestions are produced
To help improve performance, a combination of human review and machine learning is used to create high-quality ad suggestions. Relevant content from your account used to create ad suggestions include your existing ads, extensions, and landing pages. Google also uses additional signals such as keywords and targeting in order to optimize your ad copy.
Apply ad suggestions
There are two ways to apply ad suggestions. If you have an open suggestion, you’ll see two options at the bottom of the “Suggested for you” card.
- Edit ad
Click Edit ad if you want to edit the ad before adding it to your campaign.
- Add to campaign
Click Add to campaign to add your ad to the campaign. Once it’s added, you can edit it as you would any other ad. Learn how to edit your Smart campaign
Opt out of automatically applying ad suggestions
Here’s how to opt out of automatically applying ad suggestions:
- Click the tool icon in the upper right corner of your account.
- Click Account preferences at the top of the page.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to “Ad suggestions.”
- Choose You review and apply suggested ads to your campaign.
- Click Save.