Ad audience in Smart campaigns
- Your ad audience determines where your ad can appear, as well as what types of searches will cause your ad to appear.
- Choosing the right ad audience can help you reach the right customers for your business.
How to edit your audience location
You can choose your location targeting settings when you create a Smart campaign. To change your location targeting settings after creating your campaign, follow the instructions below.
- Click All campaigns and then click the name of the campaign you want to edit.
- Scroll down the page. Under 'Your ad settings', click Edit in the 'Locations' card.
- Edit as needed.
- Click Save.
Geographic targeting (where your ad can appear)
Google Ads uses the following methods to determine the geographic locations where your ads can appear:
- Targeted locations: Your ads can appear for people who are likely to be located or are regularly located in your targeted locations. You can contact the Support team to request that your ads show only in your targeted locations.
- Names of locations in searches: Some of your potential customers aren't located within your targeted area, but they might include words related to your location in their searches, such as postcodes or the names of nearby cities. If they show interest in businesses like yours in your geographic area, your ads may be shown to customers outside of your targeted area.
You create an ad for your dentist's surgery and target your ad to Melbourne. When someone in Melbourne searches for dentist on Google, your ad is eligible to appear. Another person in Canberra searches for Melbourne dentist on Google. She can also see your ad because she included your targeted location 'Melbourne' in her search.
Targeting a radius or individual locations
When choosing where your ad can appear, you can choose to target either a radius around your business or target cities, states or countries.
Regardless of whether you choose to target a radius or individual locations, we'll show your ad to all eligible locations within the area that you've targeted.
Choosing the size of your target area
- Targeting larger areas: If you're currently targeting Victoria, but you also add Melbourne, we'll target your ads to all of Victoria, including Melbourne. In this case, you can remove Melbourne from your location targets.
- Targeting smaller areas: Let's say that you only want to target Melbourne without targeting the rest of Victoria. In this case, add Melbourne to your location targets (and leave out Victoria).
Products and services
You'll also describe the product or service that you want to advertise when defining your audience. It's important to select a product or service that accurately describes your business, so that your ads will appear for the right customers.
Once you select a product or service, we'll also suggest additional features that could be related to your business. When people search for phrases related to these features, your ads will be eligible to appear. If any of the suggestions aren't applicable to your business, untick the box next to the suggestion, so your ads won't show for those types of searches. Learn how to change your business products and services.
Types of websites
Your ad may also appear on different types of websites. For more information, click any of the links below:
Smart campaigns and organic listings
Google Ads does not affect the ranking of free, organic listings, including websites and Google Maps listings. In addition, Smart campaigns run only in the sponsored ads section, so they don't affect how many or which businesses appear in the organic listings.
If your business does appear in the organic results, and you run Smart campaigns:
- Your ad can also appear in the sponsored ads section.
- Your organic listing will still appear, and the organic listing's ranking isn't affected.
- If a corresponding map appears and your ad displays a marker, the marker will appear on the map.
If your business doesn't appear in the organic results, and you run Smart campaigns:
- Your ad can appear in the sponsored ads section (with a marker).
- Your ad won't appear in the organic search results.
- If a corresponding map appears, your business's marker will appear on the map.
Google partner sites
Smart campaigns can also run on Google's search partner sites or on Google Display Network sites. These sites partner with Google to show Google ads, including ads running as part of Smart campaigns.
Search partner sites
On our search partners' sites, your ads can appear on search results pages, on site directory pages or on other pages related to the person's search.
Search partners are part of Google's Search Network. In addition to our search partners, the search network also includes Google sites such as Google Search, Google Maps, Google Shopping and Google Images.
Smart campaign ads can serve on Google Maps as long as a Google My Business listing is associated with the Smart campaign. Learn more about Google My Business.
Google Display Network sites
For certain types of businesses in some countries, your Google ads can appear on the Google Display Network. This means your ads can appear on sites partnered with Google that have content related to your business. This allows you to expand your advertising exposure beyond search, as well as reach customers who are viewing content that is relevant to businesses like yours.
Ads in your Smart campaigns are automatically matched to websites based on the business product or service that you selected. With Smart campaigns, you won't be able to select individual sites where your ads can appear.
Steve creates a Smart campaign for his wedding photography business. Ads in his campaign can appear for customers in his neighbourhood when they read online blogs about wedding planning, wedding cakes or other content related to weddings.
Budget and pricing
If your business product or service type is eligible for this feature, we'll allocate a small percentage of your Smart campaign budget to placing ads on these websites. You won't be charged any more than your total monthly budget, and you pay only when someone clicks your ad. There's nothing that you'll need to do to get started.