- Your ads show to people physically in the locations you select, and to people who express interest in these locations.
- Choose your location settings carefully. Only choose locations where your business does business. If your settings are too broad, you may end up paying for interactions with people who aren’t potential customers.
How it works
Where your ads show
Google Ads uses the following methods to determine the locations where your ads show:
- To people in your locations: Your ads can show to people who are regularly or likely to be in the locations you set up.
- To people searching for businesses in these locations: Some people who see your ads aren't in the locations you select, but they might have included words related to your locations in their searches, such as postal codes or the names of nearby cities. People who show interest in both your chosen locations and in businesses like yours can see your ads.
- If you do not want your ads to show to people who are physically outside of your location, but include words relating to your location in their search, you can contact the Support team.
A dental office in Los Angeles is setting up a campaign. Since the dentist’s patients are all in the Los Angeles area, the campaign’s location settings are set to show ads within 25 miles of the office address. Ads show to people in this area who are looking for a dentist, and to people who search for “Dentist in Los Angeles,” no matter where they’re located.
An online-only sporting equipment retailer is setting up a campaign. Although they are in Minneapolis, they ship goods to customers all over the country. For their location settings, they select all the states they ship to. Their ads show to people in these states searching for sporting equipment.
A vacation-house rental company in Cape Cod is setting up a campaign. Although they have vacationers from all over the world, they select Cape Cod and nearby towns for their location settings. Their ads will show to anyone who searches for “Cape Cod vacation rental,” no matter where they’re located.
How to edit your location settings
You can choose your location settings when you create a Smart campaign. To change your location settings after creating your campaign, follow the instructions below.
- Click All campaigns, and then click the name of the campaign you want to edit.
- Scroll the page down. Under "Your ad settings," click Edit in the "Locations" card.
- Edit as needed.
- Click Save.
Choose your location settings
When choosing where your ad shows, you can choose either a radius around your business or specific zip codes, cities, or regions. We show your ad to all locations within the areas you select.