Use parallel tracking
Starting October 30, 2018, parallel tracking will be required for all Google Ads accounts.
This article only applies to the new Google Ads experience. Determine which Google Ads experience you’re using.
Parallel tracking sends customers directly from your ad to your final URL while click measurement happens in the background. This helps load your landing page more quickly, which can reduce lost visits.
You can now opt-in to parallel tracking for Search Network and Shopping campaigns. Learn more About parallel tracking.
This article explains how to turn on parallel tracking and the technical requirements for setting up your final URL and tracking template.
Before you begin
- Check with your click measurement provider to make sure their system is compatible with parallel tracking. Compatibility may vary based on the particular features you have enabled. If there is an incompatibility, your click measurement or landing page could stop working when you turn this setting on.
- Your click measurement provider might require you to edit your tracking templates, or they may do it for you. Learn more about tracking templates.
Turn on parallel tracking
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the navigation menu, click All campaigns.
- In the page menu on the left, click Settings.
- Click Account Settings.
- Click Tracking.
- Click the switch next to “Parallel tracking” to turn it on.
To test your tracking setup for broken URLs, click the Test button found next to the tracking template. If a URL is broken you will see a red x in the status column. Learn more about what your test results mean by reading Test your landing page.