Create a video campaign with bumper ads
Bumper ads are a short video ad format that let you reach more customers and increase awareness about your brand by using a short, memorable message. With videos of six seconds or less, bumper ads let you reach people with bite-sized messages while providing a minimal impact on their viewing experience. You can create bumper video campaigns in Google Ads using the 'Video' campaign type.
How it works
- Videos must be six seconds or shorter. Viewers can’t skip your ad.
- A view of your bumper ad won’t increment the video’s YouTube view count.
- Bumper ads use CPM (cost-per-thousand impression) bidding. You pay each time that your ad is shown 1,000 times.
- Bumper ads can help to increase awareness about your brand. They often work well when run alongside related TrueView ads. (Note: TrueView ads must be created in a separate campaign.) Find out more about TrueView campaigns
- The short format can be especially effective on mobile, when people are often watching videos on the go.
Below, we’ll walk you through how to set up a bumper video campaign in Google Ads.
Before you begin
Before you set up a bumper video campaign, you should be familiar with video campaigns and video ad formats. Bear in mind that a bumper campaign can only contain bumper ads. You’ll need to create TrueView ads in a separate campaign.
Bumper campaigns require a video of six seconds or less, and the video must be hosted on YouTube.
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating bumper video ad campaigns:
- Sign in to your Google ads account.
- Click Campaigns in the page menu, and then click the blue plus button and select New campaign.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- For goals, select Brand awareness and reach, or create the campaign without a goal.
- Select the Standard awareness – Drive reach, impressions,and views campaign subtype.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Set your budget. Choose networks, locations that you want to target, the language of your customers, and any advanced settings.
- Set “Bidding strategy” to Maximum CPM.
- Enter an ad group name.
- Enter your Maximum CPM bid.
- Under "Create your video ad", enter the URL of your YouTube video (the video must be 6 seconds or shorter) and follow the steps to create your video ad.
- Under "Video ad format", select Bumper ad.
- Enter the video's final URL, display URL and URL options.
- Choose whether you want to auto-generate the video's companion banner (recommended) or upload an image.
- Enter your ad name, then click Save and continue.