Bumper ads are short videos that let you reach more customers and increase awareness about your brand with brief, memorable messages. You can create bumper video campaigns in Google Ads using the “Video” campaign type.
How it works
- Videos must be 6 seconds or shorter. Viewers can’t skip your ad.
- A view of your bumper ad won’t increment the video’s YouTube view count.
- Bumper ads use target CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions) bidding. Your pay each time your ad is shown 1,000 times.
- Bumper ads often work well when they run along TrueView ads. Learn more about TrueView video ad formats. The short format can be especially effective on mobile, when people are often watching videos on the go.
Below, we’ll walk you through how to set up a bumper video campaign in Google Ads.
Before you begin
Before you set up a bumper video campaign, you should be familiar with video campaigns and video ad formats. Bumper campaigns require a video of 6 seconds or less, and the video must be hosted on YouTube.
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating bumper video ad campaigns:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click Campaigns in the page menu, and then click the blue plus button and select New campaign.
- Select the brand awareness and reach goal.
- Select the video campaign type.
- Select Bumper.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Set your budget. Choose networks, locations you want to target, the language of your customers, and any advanced settings.
- Enter an ad group name.
- Enter your Target CPM bid.
- Under "Create your video ad," enter the URL of your YouTube video (the video must be 6 seconds or shorter) and follow the steps to create your video ad.
- Under "Video ad format," select Bumper ad.
- Enter the video's final URL, display URL, and URL options.
- Choose whether you want to auto-generate the video's companion banner (recommended) or upload an image.
- Enter your ad name, then click Save and continue.