Create a campaign
A campaign is a set of related ad groups that is often used to organize categories of products or services that you offer. Each campaign is centered on a goal that aligns with the main thing you want to get from your campaign, such as sales or website traffic. You'll need to make at least one campaign before you can create ads in your account.
This article explains how to create a campaign for your business.
Before you begin
Campaign goals come first
In the new Google Ads experience, campaigns are created around a goal, and provide features and settings based on the actions you’d like your customers to take. All campaign settings and features will be available to you despite what goals you choose, and you can always make changes to your goals.
Campaign types and networks
Your campaign type determines where customers see your ads and the settings and options available to you. In the new Google Ads experience, there are some changes to campaign types. For example, if you’d like to create a Search Network campaign targeting the Display Network (the equivalent of a “Search Network with Display Select” campaign in the previous AdWords experience), you can select “Search” as your campaign type, then add the Display Network in your network setting. Learn about campaign types.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose “previous” below. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- If you've already created a campaign in your account, click the Campaigns tab, then proceed to the next step.
- If you have an AdWords account but haven't created a campaign yet, click Create your first campaign. Then, proceed to step 5.
- Click the + Campaign button.
- From the drop-down menu, select the campaign type you want to use. Most advertisers use "Search Network with Display Select" (recommended for new advertisers), "Search Network only," or "Display Network only," though other campaign types are available. Learn more about choosing your campaign type.
- In your campaign settings, give your campaign a name.
- If you'd like to change your campaign type, click the drop-down menu next to "Type." Then, choose a campaign subtype (if applicable), such as "Standard" (recommended for new advertisers) or "All features." Your subtype options will vary depending on the campaign type you choose. For "Display Network only" campaigns, choose a marketing objective such as "Drive action" and then "Call your business." Learn more about campaign subtypes.
- Make your choices for the following settings (Learn more about campaign settings):
- Bid strategy
- Ad extensions
- Click Save and continue. You can edit your campaign settings at any time.
If you've already set up a similar campaign and you want to use the same settings, you can save time by loading the settings from your existing campaign into your new campaign. You'll see the "or load settings from" option and drop-down menu just under the campaign type.
Or you can quickly copy and paste an existing campaign from the “Edit” drop-down menu on the “Campaigns” tab. Just check the box next to the campaign you want to copy, select “Copy” from the “Edit” drop-down, then select “Paste” from the drop-down to create the new campaign.