If your automatic payment has been declined, you may not have set up an e-mandate on your credit card, or your credit card is not compliant with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) framework for processing of e-mandates for recurring online transactions.
For guidance on how to become compliant with the RBI regulations, subscribe to this Community thread.
Automatic payments is a payment setting in Google Ads. Using this setting, you first accrue advertising costs, then have those costs automatically charged to your primary payment method.
If you use automatic payments, you will be charged for your advertising costs whenever your account reaches a predetermined amount known as your payment threshold and on the first day of the month.
You may be able to switch the payment setting for your account between Automatic to Manual payments, and vice versa, in your account’s Billing Settings. The option to switch from Automatic to Manual payments is possible only in countries where the Manual payment option is available. If you are currently on Manual payments and this option is no longer available in your country, you can only switch to Automatic payments and you will not be able to switch back to Manual payments. Learn more about Manual payments option availability
To change your payment setting:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account
- In the search bar at the top of the home page, type "Settings", then select Settings > Billing.
- (Alternatively, you can type the keyboard shortcut G B to go straight to Billing.)
- In the "Payments account" section, click the edit icon next to "How you pay".
- Select your desired payment setting from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the steps in the pop-up window to confirm the change.
Note: Only users with Admin or Edit Payments profile access can make this change. To check your access type, in the search bar at the top of the home page, type Settings to select Settings > Billing and scroll down to the bottom of the page to the "Payments users" section.
If you have more than one Google Ads account, this feature might not be available in all your accounts.
When your ad serving costs reach a certain amount, known as the payment threshold, your payment method will be automatically charged for those costs. Your account’s payment threshold can be found in your "Billing Summary" page and will be automatically raised if your costs reach this amount before the end of the monthly billing cycle.
- When your account costs reach the threshold before the month has ended, your threshold is raised. This may happen several times until your account reaches a final threshold. Threshold amounts depend on your account, country, and currency.
- The amount you're charged may be slightly more than the threshold if your account accrues costs very quickly. You can be charged multiple times a month if your account reaches your billing threshold repeatedly over that time.
- You won't be emailed or notified when your payment threshold increases, but you can always find your current threshold by going to your "Billing Summary" page. To see what your current threshold is, click the tool iconand under "Billing," choose Summary. You’ll find your threshold amount in the “Next automatic payment” card.
Based on the frequency of monthly charges some customers may have an option to increase their payment threshold above the maximum amount that is set automatically to a new higher amount. This setting will help users that have frequent monthly charges to be charged less frequently across a month but at higher amounts.
To see if this option has been enabled in your account and make changes to your threshold value, use the following steps:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools iconand beneath "Billing," choose Settings.
- You’ll land on the “Settings” page. Under “How you pay” in the Payment account section you’ll see your current threshold limit.
- To see the recommended threshold amount for your account and to change it, click the pencil icon .
- To set your payment threshold at the recommended amount, click Use recommended amount and then click Save.
- You can also set any payment threshold amount up to a recommended value, then click Save.
Customers can opt out from the feature and any future automatic threshold increases.
To opt out from the experiment:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon and beneath "Billing", choose Settings.
- Under "How you pay" in the "Payments account" section, select the edit icon next to "Threshold limit."
- Select a different amount for your threshold, or check the box for "Opt out of automatic threshold increases" in the future.