Starting mid-March 2022, we're making updates to help you engage more potential customers and make ad extensions easier to manage.
Engage more people with automated extensions:
- Dynamic structured snippet extensions may now show with manually created structured snippet extensions when predicted to improve performance.
- Reporting for individual dynamic structured snippet extensions will now be available.
- You will be able to control which structured snippet extensions (manually created or dynamic) are served by pausing or removing individual structured snippet extensions.
Show more of the ad extensions that you create:
- Structured snippet extensions created at higher levels of your account hierarchy will now be eligible to serve with structured snippet extensions created at lower levels when they're predicted to improve your performance.
- For example, if you have structured snippet extensions at the campaign and account level, your account level structured snippet extensions will now be eligible to serve alongside structured snippet extensions defined at the campaign-level.
Highlight specific aspects of your products and services with structured snippets extensions. Structured snippets show beneath your text ad in the form of a header (e.g. 'Destinations') and list of values (e.g. 'Hawaii, Costa Rica, South Africa'). This article gives an overview of structured snippets. For instructions, review Use structured snippet extensions.
How they show
When your structured snippet extension appears with your ad on a computer, it can show up to two headers at a time, while ads that show on mobile and tablet devices will only show one header. Google Ads algorithmically decides the best header or combination of headers to show, so it’s best to add as many headers as possible that are relevant to your business.
Here's what an ad with structured snippets might look like on a computer:
Ad · https://www.example.com
ACME Electronics - Full Service Tech Shop
Shop ACME Electronics For Laptops, Smartphones, Video Games, And More.
Services: Tech Support, E-Waste Recycling, Computer Repair
- Help people to instantly find out more about your products and services: Structured snippets give visitors a preview of the nature and range of your products and services, before they click your ad.
- Improve your return on investment: The additional information that appears with your ads can increase your ads' relevance and click-through rates. This may help you improve your return on investment by attracting clicks from visitors who are more likely to be interested in what you have to offer.
- Customisability: You can add structured snippets at the account, campaign or ad group levels. Specify the dates, days of the week or times of day that your structured snippets are eligible to show.
How structured snippets work
You can add structured snippets at the account, campaign or ad group level. You choose where to add them, decide what type of information potential customers will find most valuable and schedule when you’d like them to appear. Consider your products and services, select from a list of predefined headers (like 'Product' or 'Service category'), and then add specific, supporting details as values.
Here's a list of available headers:
- Degree programmes
- Featured hotels
- Insurance cover
- Service catalogue
It's important to make sure that your header and values match, as a mismatch is the most likely reason that your snippets will be disapproved. You might think of values as examples of their corresponding headers. For example, 'Costa Rica' is a destination, 'Wi-Fi' is an amenity and 'town centre' is a local area. Values for the Style header should be variations of a fairly specific category, like sandals or high heels, while values for the Type header can be variations of broader categories, like light fixtures or shoes.
There's no cost to add structured snippets extensions, but you'll be charged as usual for clicks on your ad.
Tips: Bear these best practices in mind when creating or optimising structured snippets:
- Provide enough information. Aim to include at least four values per header.
- Increase your options. Add more than one header-value set. Having multiple sets of structured snippets provides more options and increases the likelihood that a relevant extension will show with your ad.
- Pick the right format. Unlike callout extensions, which can highlight a single unique aspect of your business in a few words, structured snippets should provide a complete group of products or services that your business provides.