You can use online marketing to get people to your website, but is your website designed to encourage people to do business with you? Let's find out.
In a separate browser window, pull up the website you'll be advertising. Then, follow along on this checklist to see if it measures up.
1. Does your website have a clear, eye-catching headline?
Having a distinct headline on your site is essential to helping customers quickly know that they're in the right place. This will encourage them to stay on your site longer and ultimately take an action that's valuable to you.
To turn your visitors into customers, your site needs to work quickly on mobile devices — from smartphones to laptops. See how your site scores on mobile speed, and get quick fixes to improve it:
When people come to your site, you want to make sure they know right away why they should stay. Make sure the benefits are scannable and easy to read; bullet points are a great way to do this.
Eye-catching media like photos, video, or graphics are appealing to customers and an effective way to engage them with your business. But don't overdo it. Too much media can cause your site to load slowly. You don't want people leaving your site before they see the most important information!
A call-to-action is something that indicates to your customer exactly what you want them to do on your site, and how to do it. For example, a "Buy now" button that links to a transaction page, or a "Call today" message next to a prominent phone number.
When you're clear about the action you want people to take on your site, visitors are much more likely to actually take that action and bring you the business you're looking for.
Making it easy for people to reach you is a great way to build trust and increase transparency with potential customers.
Here are a few more ways to boost customers' confidence in your business:
- Include customer testimonials or 3rd party verifications about your business
- Openly share information about your business and clearly state what it does
- If you request personal information from customers, make it clear why you're asking for it and what you'll do with it
- If you run ads on your site, make sure you distinguish these ads and sponsored links from the rest of your site content
An easy-to-navigate website is essential if you want to convert potential customers to paying ones.
Here are a few more tips for creating a high-performing website:
- Put important information towards the top of the page - Make it easy for your site visitors to find your most important content. Make sure it's immediately visible when they arrive on the page so they don't have to scroll down to see it.
- Think about smaller screens - It's not just about the desktop computer anymore. Your customers use different digital devices, like mobile phones and tablets, throughout their day. The smaller the screen, the harder it can be for people to find what they want. Creating a website that automatically adjusts to a user's device is the best way to make sure everyone who gets to your site finds what they're looking for—no matter what device they're using.
- Make navigation simple - Keep your site clean, clear, and simple by:
- Limiting the number of navigation links
- Avoiding the use of pop-ups or other features that could interfere with navigation on your site
- Making sure your site loads quickly so people don't hit "back" before they even get there
- Quick links to more information - Make it easy for customers to find links to any additional information about the advertised product they might want. For example, a prominent "Learn more" link.
The web is a big place, which is why your business needs a strong online presence beyond just your website. This can expand your business' visibility and help you reach more customers.
If you don't have one already, create a free Business Profile listing. This will get your up-to-date business info on Google Search and Google Maps so that customers can find and connect with you, no matter what device they're using.
Also, take advantage of free social media sites and services that allow you to create a page or listing for your business.
So, how'd you do? If you answered "No" to any of these questions, you might want to think about updating your website. You'll not only give your customers a better experience, you'll be better positioned to make the most of your Google Ads investment.