Quality Score is a diagnostic tool meant to give you a sense of how well your ad quality compares to other advertisers.
This score is measured on a scale from 1–10 and available at the keyword level. A higher Quality Score means that your ad and landing page are more relevant and useful to someone searching for your keyword, compared to other advertisers.
You can use the Quality Score diagnostic tool to identify where it might be beneficial to improve your ads, landing pages or keyword selection.
Good to know about Quality Score
- Quality Score isn't a key performance indicator and shouldn't be optimised or aggregated with the rest of your data.
- Quality Score isn't an input in the ad auction. It’s a diagnostic tool to identify how ads that show for certain keywords affect the user experience.
How it’s calculated
Quality Score is calculated based on the combined performance of three components:
- Expected click-through rate (CTR): The likelihood that your ad will be clicked when shown.
- Ad relevance: How closely your ad matches the intent behind a user's search.
- Landing page experience: How relevant and useful your landing page is to people who click your ad.
Each component is evaluated with a status of 'Above average', 'Average' or 'Below average'. This evaluation is based on a comparison with other advertisers whose ads showed for the exact same keyword, over the last 90 days.
If one of these components has a status of 'Average' or 'Below average', this may indicate an opportunity to make improvements.
Bear in mind
- Quality Score is based on historical impressions for exact searches of your keyword, therefore changing keyword match types won't impact Quality Score.
- If you see '—' in the Quality Score column, it means that there aren't enough searches that exactly match your keywords to determine a keyword’s Quality Score.
- There are factors related to your ad quality that might not be captured by Quality Score. These factors include, but aren't limited to:
- Devices used in search
- Location of user
- Time of day
- Ad extensions
How to check your Quality Score
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the left menu, select Keywords.
- In the top right-hand corner of the table, click the columns icon .
- Under 'Modify columns for keywords', open the Quality Score section. To see the current Quality Score and its component statuses, choose any of the following to add to your statistics table:
- Quality Score
- Landing Page Exp.
- Exp. CTR
- Ad Relevance
- To see past Quality Score stats for the reporting period that you’re looking at, choose any of the following metrics:
- Quality Score (hist.)
- Landing Page Exper. (hist.)
- Ad Relevance (hist.)
- Exp. CTR. (hist.)
You can see the change in daily scores by segmenting your table by day.