Understanding your Google Ads VAT setting change
- Your Google Ads tax setting has been changed to "business."
- Non-Irish advertisers: You're now responsible for determining taxes due at your country's local rate.
- Irish advertisers: We'll continue adding VAT to your charges.
- If you were using Google Ads for non-business reasons in countries in the EU, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, you'll need to cancel your account.
Although you previously set your Google Ads account VAT setting to "personal," we recently changed it to "business." This is because most Google Ads accounts are used for business purposes. If you're not an Irish advertiser, from now on we won't add VAT to your Google Ads charges, and you'll be responsible for determining taxes due at your country's local rate instead. If you are an Irish advertiser, we'll continue adding VAT to your charges.
A "business" tax status means that your account is used to gain an economic advantage or potentially generates revenue, directly or indirectly, by promoting goods or services with Google Ads . We believe that your account is a business account, which includes corporates, affiliates, sole traders, self-employed merchants, and partnerships.
Google Ads can be used only for business purposes in the EU, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. If you were using your account for non-business reasons, please cancel your Google Ads account.
- Learn more about VAT and Google Ads.