About callout extensions
With callout extensions, you can promote unique offers to shoppers, like free shipping or 24-hour customer service. When customers see your ads, they get detailed information about your business, products and services. This article gives an overview of callout extensions.
How callouts appear
Once you create a callout extension, it's eligible to appear with your ad on a computer or mobile device. With callout extensions, you can show up to ten callouts in addition to the text of your ad, depending on the character spacing, browser and device that you’re using. Callouts also show in a variety of ways depending on the device and other factors. While callout extensions on a computer are separated by dots and listed on a single line, callouts on mobile and tablet devices wrap in paragraph form. Ads with callout extensions can show at the top and bottom of Google search results.
Here's what an ad with callouts might look like on a computer:
Free delivery • 24-7 customer service • Price matching
- Highlights your business offerings: Promote popular or unique aspects of your business with a few words or a single phrase.
- Flexible and customisable in use: You can add callouts at the account, campaign or ad-group levels, allowing you to include generic or detailed information within your ads. You can specify the dates, days of the week or times of day that your callouts are eligible to show.
How callouts work
You can add callouts at the account, campaign or ad group level. You choose where to add them, create the callout text and schedule when you’d like them to appear. The order of your callouts, their length and how they perform factor in to how many callouts appear and whether a callout will show for your ad.
A good rule of thumb is to provide more general information that’s applicable to your entire business, such as “24/7 phone support” at the account and campaign levels, and provide more specific information, such as “free gift wrapping” at the ad group level. If you add callouts to an ad group that’s in a campaign that already has callouts, the ads in that ad group will use the ad group-level callouts (rather than the callouts that you’ve attached to the campaign).
There's no cost to add callout extensions, but you'll be charged as usual for clicks on your ad.
Bear these tips in mind when creating or optimising callouts:
- Be specific: Give detailed information to customers to help them decide if you have what they’re looking for. For example, try saying "34 MPG max mileage" instead of "Great fuel economy".
- Add extensions at the account level: Make sure that you have extension coverage across all of your ads by adding extensions at the account level. Create account-level callouts that apply to your entire business (like “24/7 phone support”).
- Customise extensions at lower levels: If you'd like to highlight offerings or features that are only applicable to certain parts of your business (like “free gift wrapping” or “pick-up service”), set up more granular callouts at the campaign and ad-group levels. Bear in mind that lower-level extensions always trump higher-level extensions, so callouts that you’ve created at the account level won’t show if you add callouts at the campaign and/or ad group level.
- Pick the right format: Unlike structured snippet extensions, which showcase a complete group of products or services that your business provides, callout extensions should highlight individual aspects of your business in a few words or a short phrase.