Why use custom columns?
Custom columns offer a convenient solution if you’re interested in combining columns together or in seeing only part of your data for a metric. With custom columns, you can build custom metrics based on existing metrics in Google Ads and spend less time preparing reports outside of Google Ads. Other benefits include:
- Access and leverage a wide variety of metrics computed from Google Ads data.
- Create your own custom columns and KPI calculations that meet your business and reporting needs in terms the end client will understand.
- Track how each campaign is contributing toward a formulated or weighted KPI and budget by using formula columns.
- View metrics across multiple date ranges side-by-side in a table.
- Pair custom columns and labels so that you can easily flip through different buckets of campaigns, ad groups, ads or keywords.
- Calculations are made in real-time to ensure custom reporting is up to date, with the freshest data.
Here’s an example: Matthew’s business uses a metric called 'Mobile share of clicks', which is defined as mobile clicks divided by total clicks. There's no column for this in the Campaigns page, so Matthew decides to create his own custom column:
- First, he names the column 'Mobile click percentage' and adds a description, 'This column calculates mobile clicks divided by total clicks'. The description will help other users on his account understand what the column displays.
- Then he selects the Clicks metric and adds the Device > Mobile phones filter to it, so that it only shows clicks from mobile devices.
- He adds ÷ and adds the Clicks metric again, which represents the total number of clicks.
- Next, he chooses Percent as the 'Data format' in the top right, so that the column will display as a percentage.
- Finally, he saves the new column.
Now, Matthew can view this metric at any time.
Custom columns allow you to use spreadsheet features, such as functions, directly in Google Ads. Learn about creating custom columns
Just like standard Google Ads columns, custom columns can be filtered, sorted, downloaded and used to customise your performance summary chart above your statistics table. Learn how to customise your tables and charts