Performance Max uses Google AI to help you drive growth in conversions and value through bidding, targeting, creatives and attribution. It's designed to perform across a wide range of marketing objectives and media channels. Because of this, we recommend using the following best practices to set up your Performance Max campaigns for optimal results.
This article explains best practices for all business types.
For additional best practices, review:
- Best practices for online sales (non-shopping)
- Best practices for lead generation
- Best practices for shop goals
- Best practices for retail advertisers with online sales goals using a Merchant Center feed
Best practices for all business types
- Campaign duration: Run campaigns for at least 6 weeks to allow the machine learning algorithm to ramp up and have sufficient data to compare performance.
- Audience signal: Performance Max is powered by machine learning. Use relevant audience lists as signals to accelerate the machine learning ramp-up time and enhance your campaign’s results. Use remarketing lists, custom intent, Customer Match and similar segments as signals.
- Assets: Use as many assets as possible. Add at least 20 text assets (15 headlines, 5 descriptions), at least 7 image assets (3 landscape images, 3 square images and one portrait image) and at least one video asset (either your own or one created using the video creation tool during campaign setup) to your asset group. Learn more about how to build an asset group.