Due to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) regulations, all automatic payments using credit and debit cards need to follow the new guidelines by September 30, 2021.
Threshold limits for existing customers using automatic payments
Automatic payments in India will be limited to ₹5,000 and Google is required to set up an e-mandate for your card. We're working on updating your recurring payment per the new guidelines. The total amount you're charged won't change, and you'll be charged only for your usage.
Set up your RBI e-mandate
To avoid any service interruptions, sign in to your Google Ads account using the instructions below to enable automatic payments. Make sure to disable your pop-up blocker before proceeding.
This action must be taken before the regulation takes effect on October 1, 2021, or your automatic payments will fail and your service may be interrupted.
- In your Google Ads account, click the Campaigns icon .
- Click Overview.
- Click Fix Now in the red alert (if any) at the top of the page to verify your card on file and prevent service disruption.
At any time, if your account has stopped running due to a decline of your automatic payment, and you don’t see the red alert asking you to verify your card but instead see a “Payments may fail after Sep 30” alert, which means your primary credit card isn’t compliant with RBI regulations. In that case, there are 2 alternatives for you to avoid further service interruption:
- Add a new primary payment method that’s compliant with the RBI. We’ll check if your credit card is compliant during the “Add a new payment method” process.
- Continue making manual payments for your outstanding balance until you can set up an e-mandate on your card by following these steps:
Note: The instructions below are part of the new design for the Google Ads user experience. To use the previous design, click the "Appearance" icon, and select Use previous design. If you're using the previous version of Google Ads, review the Quick reference map or use the Search bar in the top navigation panel of Google Ads to find the page you’re searching for.
- In your Google Ads account, click the Billing icon .
- Click Summary.
- Click Make a payment.
- Complete the flow and pay for your owed amount (or more than your owed amount if you’d like) manually.
- Click Payment methods.
- Look for your primary card and check if there's a "Fix" option link below it. If so, click Fix.
- Check to make sure that all the card details are correct and click Update.
You can also make manual payments in advance to keep your accounts in a credit position. This can help ensure you have enough funds available to cover future advertising, rather than waiting for an automatic payment to be triggered and possibly declined, which would cause your ads to stop serving.