To test your connection speed:
For best results, close all applications and other devices before running the speed test.
If you are testing your speed upon installation, open your browser and go to https://speedtest.net. If you are troubleshooting a problem with your speed, open your browser and go to https://fiber.google.com/speedtest.
- If you are testing your speed for the 5 Gig plan, do the following:
Download the Ookla Speed Test App to perform an accurate speed test, detailed below.
If you have pop-ups blocked, the speed test may not appear when you click the speed test link. If this occurs, unblock pop-ups temporarily to display the speed test page.
All hardwired speed tests should be conducted using the 10G LAN port on the back of the router or direct to the Fiber Jack or Optical Connector.
It is the ONLY MULTIGIG LAN PORT.
Click the go button to start the test.
The speed test checks your upload and download speeds and displays the results.
For best speed test results, here are some helpful tips:
- You won't be able to reach maximum Internet speeds of your chosen Fiber plan when connected by Wi-Fi. Learn more about the maximum possible download speeds achieved using 1 Gig service on a variety of wireless and connected devices.
- Connect your laptop to power adapter
- Update the device with the latest version of the operating system.
- Use the latest version of your web browser to run the speed test. Read about supported browsers.
- Turn hyperthreading on (Note: this is not supported on MacBook or Lenovo devices running Chrome web browser).
- Use an Incognito window in Chrome web browser or a private window in other web browsers.
- Have only one tab open in your web browser when running a speed test.
- If possible, run the test on a recent model computer with up-to-date networking hardware.
If you've run an Internet speed test and believe you still aren't receiving fastest speeds, here are ways you can improve your Wi-Fi speeds.
Troubleshoot your network connection
If you tested your Internet speed and feel it's lower than expected, try our Network Troubleshooter to resolve any issues you may have with your Google Fiber Internet connection.