You can both listen to and read transcriptions of your voicemail messages.
When you switch from Google Voice to Fi, you can find pre-Fi voicemails in Google Voice. Voicemails you receive after joining can be found in the Fi app or by calling your voicemail.
When you get a new voicemail, the voicemail icon appears in the status bar at the top of your phone's screen.
To listen to or read your new voicemail:
From the top of your screen
- Swipe down from the top of your phone’s screen to view your notifications.
- Tap Voicemail .
- One voicemail: Your message begins to play or you can read the voicemail transcription. There may be a short delay for the voicemail transcript to open.
- Two or more voicemails: You’re taken to the Voicemail screen. Read the voicemail transcription or tap Listen to play the message.
From the Phone app
- Open the Phone app .
- Tap Recents.
- Notice the voicemail icon next to the contact .
- Tap the contact.
- Read the voicemail transcription or tap Listen to play the message.
Tip: You can also press and hold "1" on your Phone app to call voicemail. To do this, you need to turn on voicemail access and set a PIN.
Control voicemail playback
- To play or pause, tap the play icon or the pause icon .
- To make the playback go faster, tap the plus icon (INSERT PLUS ICON HERE).
- To make the playback go slower, tap the minus icon (INSERT MINUS ICON HERE).
You can check your voicemail messages on your call forwarding phones.
- Turn on voicemail access and set a PIN. You can do this from the Google Fi website or app.
- From one of your forwarding phones, dial your number.
- While your voicemail greeting is playing, press “*”.
- Enter your PIN and press "#".
- Follow the recorded instructions.
- Open the Phone app .
- On the top of the screen, touch the voicemail tab .
A list of your past voicemail messages will show.
When you get a voicemail, the message is turned into text that you can read on your phone.
The quality of the transcription varies depending on the caller and background noise. Sometimes we can’t transcribe voicemails if there’s too much background noise, or if the voicemail isn’t in English. If this happens, you’ll see “Transcript not available.”
Improve voicemail transcriptions
You can help Google improve its transcription technology if you allow Google to analyze your voicemails. Google removes your account information from your voicemails before it analyzes each message.
You can turn this feature on or off at any time.
- Open the Google Fi app or website.
- In the Account tab, go to Settings.
- Select Privacy.
- Check or uncheck Improve voicemail transcription.