You can send and receive text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages through the Messages app . Messages are considered texts and don't count toward your data usage. Your data usage is also free when you turn on chat features.
Tip: You can send texts over Wi-Fi even if you don’t have cell service. Just use Messages as you normally would.
If you're not connected to Wi-Fi, make sure cellular data is turned on:
- On your Android device, open the Settings app.
- Tap Network & internet Mobile network.
- Make sure Mobile data is turned on.
Turn on data roaming
- On your Android device, open Settings .
- Tap Network & internet Mobile network Roaming.