Wi-Fi calling expands your coverage to places where the mobile network isn’t as strong. Google Fi routes your call over whichever network provides you with the best experience.
- If your Wi-Fi connection isn’t as strong or stable as your cellular connection, your call might go over cellular.
- To make best use of Wi-Fi calling, connect to Wi-Fi whenever it’s available and keep your Wi-Fi turned on.
- Wi-Fi calling may not work if you have a virtual protected network (VPN) turned on. To ensure that Wi-Fi calling works, turn off your VPN or update your VPN settings so that the Google Fi app can bypass the VPN.
To find out if you can make calls over Wi-Fi, check our list of compatible devices.
If you have a Designed for Fi phone: Connect to Wi-Fi and make a call with the phone dialer.
If you have a Compatible with Fi device: Learn how to use your own phone with Google Fi.
If you have trouble making Wi-Fi calls: Make sure the Google Fi app is updated. To check:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play app .
- Search for
- Next to the app icon, tap Update.
When you make a call:
- If both Wi-Fi and cellular are available: Google Fi routes your call over whichever one gives you the best experience.
- If you start a call on Wi-Fi and your connection weakens or drops: Google Fi automatically continues your call over a mobile network if one is available.
To use Wi-Fi only:
- On your Android phone or tablet, tap Settings .
- Make sure that your Android device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Turn on Airplane mode.
Tip: To use cellular service again, turn off Airplane mode.
To figure out if your call is connected over Wi-Fi, at the top of the screen, check for Wi-Fi and the name of the network you're connected to.
Important: Calls to 911 over Wi-Fi operate differently than traditional calls to 911. Learn more about calls to 911 over Wi-Fi.
In most places you go in the world, you can make a call with Wi-Fi. The country you call may have different rates for Wi-Fi calls. These rates are the same as when you call from the US.
You’re not charged for calls to US numbers over Wi-Fi since they’re included in your plan.