Project Fi tips & tricks
Here are some tips & tricks to make the most of Project Fi.
Expand your coverage & manage dataKeep your phone connected to Wi-Fi
To make the most of Project Fi, we recommend connecting to Wi-Fi whenever it’s available and always keeping your Wi-Fi turned on. By connecting to Wi-Fi, you'll:
- Expand your coverage in places where the cellular network isn’t as strong
- Limit or manage the amount of mobile data that you use
- Likely have fast access for streaming, downloads, games, and apps
In addition to connecting to Wi-Fi networks, Project Fi also includes two other Wi-Fi features so you can always stay connected:
- Set your Project Fi phone to automatically connect to open networks that we’ve verified as fast and reliable.
- Have your saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords sync across any Android device where you're signed in to your Google Account.
Wi-Fi calling expands your coverage in places where the cellular network isn’t as strong.
Just make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, and your call will be placed over the strongest connection.
Learn more about making calls over Wi-Fi.
Control your budgetGet alerts for data usage
You can get alerts from Project Fi about your data usage. You'll get an alert as you're nearing your data budget, when you've reached your budget, and for each additional GB of usage over your budget. These alerts are on by default. Learn more about Project Fi alerts.
If you want to make sure you never go over your monthly data budget, you can set your phone to turn off your data automatically when you reach a data limit. When you reach your data limit, you'll get a notification.
Share your data using a Wi-Fi hotspotSet up a Wi-Fi hotspot
With Project Fi and your Fi phone, you can turn your phone into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot and share its Internet connection with up to 10 other devices at the same time. For example, if you want to use your laptop at the airport, you can turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot to connect your laptop to the Internet.
Data for a Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering all comes out of your data budget. It’s $10/GB just like data on your phone.
Get to know your Fi phoneTry these recommended apps
You’ll have the best Project Fi experience if you use the following apps:
- By using the Phone app that comes on your phone, you’ll be able to take advantage of Project Fi's features like Wi-Fi calling. (You can also use the Hangouts app for calls. Other apps don't support Project Fi Wi-Fi calling.)
- You can send and receive text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages using the Android Messages app.
- Android Messages is the default texting app on your phone and we recommend using it with Project Fi.
- Learn more about using Android Messages.
- You can talk and text with your Project Fi number on any phone, tablet, or laptop that supports Google Hangouts.
- Learn more about using Hangouts with Project Fi.
Project Fi app
- The Project Fi app comes installed on the phone you bought through Project Fi, and you need the app to use Project Fi.
- Use your Project Fi app to track your data usage and manage your account, right from your phone. You'll also get important notifications about your account.
- Make sure to keep the Project Fi app updated on your phone for the best experience.
If you’ve been using other apps for calls and texts, try switching back to the Phone app and Android Messages or Hangouts for the best Project Fi experience.
Fi phones can do all kinds of cool things you might not know about yet:
- Connect to Wi-Fi wherever you are
- Beam cool stuff to friends
- Send texts even faster by swiping to type
- Use tap-and-pay to buy things without taking your credit card out
- Remotely lock & erase your phone if you leave it somewhere
- Take 360° pictures