Here are some tips & tricks to make the most of Google Fi.
Expand your coverage & manage dataKeep your phone connected to Wi-Fi
To make the most of Google Fi, we recommend connecting to Wi-Fi whenever it’s available and always keeping your Wi-Fi turned on. By connecting to Wi-Fi, you:
- Expand your coverage in places where the cellular network isn’t as strong.
- Limit or manage the amount of mobile data that you use.
- Likely have faster access for streaming, downloads, games, and apps.
Stay under the data speed limit for your plan. Learn more about data speeds.
In addition to connecting to Wi-Fi networks, Google Fi also includes two other Wi-Fi features so you can always stay connected:
- Set your Google Fi phone to automatically connect to open networks that we’ve verified as fast and reliable.
- Have your saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords sync across any Android device where you're signed in to your Google Account.
Wi-Fi calling expands your coverage in places where the cellular network isn’t as strong.
Just make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, and your call is placed over the strongest connection.
Share your data using a Wi-Fi hotspotSet up a Wi-Fi hotspot
With Google Fi and your Fi phone, you can turn your phone into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot and share its Internet connection with up to 10 other devices at the same time. For example, if you want to use your laptop at the airport, you can turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot to connect your laptop to the Internet.
With the Flexible plan, data for a Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering all comes out of your data budget. It’s $10 per GB just like data on your phone.
With the Simply Unlimited plan, Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering isn't available.
On the Unlimited Plus plan, data used for a Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering is included in the plan cost.
Get to know your Fi phoneTry these recommended apps
You’ll have the best Google Fi experience if you use the following apps:
- By using the Phone app that comes on your phone, you’re able to take advantage of Google Fi's features like Wi-Fi calling.
Messages by Google
- You can send and receive text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages with the Messages app.
- We recommend you use Messages by Google on your Fi phone.
- Learn more about how to use Messages by Google.
Google Fi app
- The Google Fi app comes installed on the phone you bought through Google Fi, and you need the app to use Google Fi.
- Use your Google Fi app to track your data usage and manage your account, right from your phone. You'll also get important notifications about your account.
- Make sure to keep the Google Fi app updated on your phone for the best experience.
If you’ve used other apps for calls and texts, try to switch back to the Phone app and Messages by Google for the best Google Fi experience.
Fi phones can do all kinds of cool things you might not know about yet:
- Connect to Wi-Fi wherever you are
- Beam cool stuff to friends
- Send texts even faster by swiping to type
- Use tap-and-pay to buy things without taking your credit card out
- Remotely lock and erase your phone if you leave it somewhere
- Take 360° pictures