Unless you receive an exception, you must activate and use your Fi account primarily in the US (territories not included). With an exception, you can activate your account outside of the US and use Fi abroad for up to 18 months. For more information, refer to the Google Fi Terms of Service.
You can pause your Google Fi service for a short time. Exceptions allow you to pause your service for up to 39 months.
We grant exceptions for:
- Military who serve abroad
- State Department employees who serve abroad
- Dependents on the same Fi group plan who are also stationed overseas
To receive an international exception, you must verify your government status through SheerID. SheerID is a trusted third-party verification service. SheerID works on behalf of Google Fi to check and verify military and State Department credentials. For more information, go to goo.gle/fi-sheerid.
How to get verified
- Once you have a Fi account, go to goo.gle/fi-sheerid. If you request an exception to pause your service for up to 39 months, pause your Fi account before you proceed.
- Select Verify your military status or Verify your state department employment.
- Fill out the verification form.
- Submit the required documents.
Tip: To ensure a speedy and successful verification, make sure the info you submit through goo.gle/fi-sheerid (like your first and last name) matches what’s on the documents. If your name changed since your military document was issued, upload the document and another government-issued document that shows your current name.
Once SheerID verifies your status, Fi processes your exception. Then, you can activate and fully use our services internationally for 18 months before a re-verification is required.
As part of the verification process, SheerID collects basic personal information and asks you to upload documentation that proves your status and eligibility. You must upload official government-issued documents that show your:
- Full name
- Branch of service, current affiliation with the Armed Forces, or current employment with the State Department
- Indication that you serve abroad
Verification results and processing
SheerID reviews your documents within 20 minutes after you upload them. Then, SheerID emails you with more details about your verification request. The email tells you if you were successfully verified or if SheerID needs more information to complete your verification.
After you're successfully verified, Fi processes your exception and sends you a confirmation email. This process usually takes a few minutes but can take up to a day.
Tip: If you don’t find an email in your inbox, check your spam or junk folder.
Frequently asked questions
My military status or branch isn’t an option. What do I select?
Does SheerID sell or share my ID & info?
Your privacy is something SheerID takes seriously. SheerID only uses your information to confirm your eligibility.
- Rent your information
- Sell your information
- Store documents or images uploaded to their system