If you're a parent in a family group, you can require family members to get your permission to purchase or download content on Google Play. Purchase approval settings only apply to purchases made through Google Play's billing system.
Change purchase approval settings
If you’re the family manager in the family group, you can choose purchase approval settings for any member of your family. If you're a parent in the family group, you can choose the purchase approval settings for family members whose accounts are managed with Family Link.
- On your computer, go to g.co/yourfamily.
- Select your child.
- Click Controls on Google Play.
- Under “Purchase & download approvals,” select Require approval for.
- Select the type of purchases that you want to require approval:
- All content
- All purchases using the family payment method
- Only in-app purchases
- No approval required
Approve or deny requests
If you're a parent in a family group, you can approve or deny requests for content from Google Play.
When a purchase is completed through Google Play's billing system, the family manager gets an email receipt.
You can manage approvals for recommended apps you download in Google Kids Space separately in the Google Kids Space settings.
- When a family member makes a purchase using Google Play's billing system, they'll find a screen that asks for your password.
- Review the request.
- To approve, enter your Google Account password on their device.
- Click Approve.
If parental approval for Play content is required for a child whose Google Account is managed with Family Link, they'll see a screen with two options when they try to download or access content:
Ask in a message
- You'll get a notification on your computer.
- Review the request. To see more details, click the request or the name of the app.
- Click Approve or Deny.
- You'll review the request on your child's device.
- To approve it, enter your Google Account password on their device.
- Click Approve.
Play Store app
- On your computer, open the Play Store app on your browser at play.google.com.
- At the top right, select your Profile picture or initial Settings Family.
- Select Manage approval requests.
Family Link app
- On your computer, go to familylink.google.com.
- At the top right, click Notifications .
If you’re the family manager in the family group and haven’t added a family payment method, your child may request your approval to make a purchase on their behalf.
You can complete the purchase with any payment method added to your Google Play account, including Google Play gift cards. You’ll receive a purchase confirmation email to the Google Account you use when completing the purchase. Your child will also receive a purchase confirmation email to the Google Account they used when making the purchase approval request. Purchase approval settings, including purchase confirmation emails, apply to purchases made through Google Play’s billing system.
- Children can request approval to purchase paid apps or items sold inside apps. This doesn’t include Play Books, Google TV, or subscription purchases.
- Purchase approvals without a family payment method will not be available for family groups who have a family payment method added.
- Children will not have the ability to view or use the family manager’s payment method without permission from the family manager.
- Purchase approvals without a family payment method will be available for family groups where the family manager has an Android phone.