Manage guardians in your domain
Guardians can keep track of their student’s classroom progress through guardian email summaries. The emails summarize information about the student’s classes and work. See an example of a guardian email summary.
As the G Suite administrator, you decide:
- Whether to allow guardian email summaries for your school or district
- Whether teachers have permission to invite or remove guardians
Turn on or off guardian email summaries
You can turn on or off guardian access for your domain. Default behavior is based on school type:
- For K–12 schools, access is turned on.
- For higher education, access is turned off.
After access is turned on, guardians are linked to their student and can receive email summaries.
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Click Apps G Suite Classroom General settings. (Apps might be in More Controls.)Where is it?
- Under Guardian access, click Allow parents and guardians to access Classroom information.
Note: If you’ve allowed students in whitelisted domains to join classes in your domain, the whitelisted domains must also enable guardian email summaries. If email summaries are not enabled, teachers will not be able to invite guardians for students in that domain. Learn more about whitelisting a domain.
Manage permissions for who can invite and remove guardians
You can set permissions for who can invite and remove guardians.
Invite or remove guardians in your domain
As the administrator, you have 2 options to invite and remove guardians in bulk for your domain.
- Use GAM, a command line tool for managing G Suite domains and users, to invite guardians in bulk via CSV, view a list of current guardians, and remove guardians.
- Invite and remove guardians with the Classroom API. For more information on using the API to manage guardians, see Managing guardians on the Google Developers site.