This page is for teachers. Students go here.
You can email a single student, a group of students, or an entire class. You can also send a private note to a student when you grade and return an assignment. To email students, Gmail must be turned on for you and your students.
Limits on sending email
- You can send an email to up to 100 recipients at once—If a class has more than 100 students, you’ll need to email some students first and then send the message again to the remaining students. For details, go to Email sending limits.
- You can only send an email to a single class at a time—To send a message to multiple classes at once, post an announcement to multiple classes. For details, go to Post announcements to your students.
My students can't send email
If your students can't send email in Classroom, check with your G Suite admin. To send email, the Gmail and Directory services must be turned on for students.
Send and view email
Send an email
- Click your class.
- At the top, click People.
Choose an option:
- Email one student—Next to the student’s name, click More Email student.
- Email multiple students—Check the box next to each student's name. Then, at the top, click Actions Email.
- Email the entire class—Above the student list, check the box and click Actions Email.
Note: When you email multiple students, the default setting adds the addresses to the Bcc field. You can move students’ addresses to the To or Cc field.
- (Optional) To attach files, photos, or links to your messages, click the relevant icon and select the item. Learn more about sending attachments with your mail.
- Enter your message and click Send.
View an email
You can’t see or get emails in Classroom. To view sent or received emails, use your G Suite for Education Gmail.
- In the top-right corner, click the App Launcher Gmail .
For more Gmail instructions, go to the Gmail Help Center.