This article is for Google Workspace administrators.
As a Google Workspace administrator, use the Google Admin console to give teachers and students access to Classroom.
About user accounts
User account types
- School account—Also known as a Google Workspace for Education account, this account is set up by an accredited school.
- Personal Google Account—This is set up by the student, parent, or guardian. Typically, a personal Google Account is used outside of a school setting, such as a homeschool.
- Google Workspace account—This is set up by your organization’s Google Workspace admin.
|Google Workspace edition||Type of support|
|Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits|
|Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus||Classroom is an additional Google service and is not covered by support or a service level agreement (SLA). For help, go to the Google Classroom Help Community or Classroom Help Center.|
How cross-domain class membership works
|If a student uses Classroom with...||And the primary teacher uses Classroom with...||Can the student join the class?|
|Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits||Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits||Yes, if class settings in both organizations allow it.|
|Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus||Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus||Yes, if class settings in both organizations allow it.|
|Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits||Workspace Basic, Business, Google Workspace for Education Plus, or a personal Google Account||No|
|Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus||Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits or a personal Google Account||No|
|Personal Google Account||Google Workspace for Education or Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus||Yes, if the Google Workspace organization allows it.|
|Personal Google Account||Personal Google Account||Yes|
Control user access to Classroom
Step 1: Put users in organizational units
Step 2: Give users access to Classroom
- Choose one:
- If you’re using Google Workspace for Education or Workspace for Nonprofits, click AppsGoogle WorkspaceClassroom.
- If you’re using Workspace Basic, Business, or Google Workspace for Education Plus, click AppsAdditional Google servicesClassroom.
- Click Service status.
On the left, you can see the top-level organizational unit and any parent or child organizational units.
(Optional) To turn a service on or off for an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- Select On or Off.
- Click Override to keep your setting if the service for the parent organizational unit is changed.
- If Overridden is already set for the organizational unit, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about organizational structure.
Note: Changes may take up to 24 hours to propagate to all users.
Step 3: Configure class settings
You can configure 2 settings for Classroom:
Class membership—Determine who can join classes in your domain and which classes users in your domain can join.
- Allowlisted domains—Allow users to join classes from the domains that you trust and allow teachers and students from different domains to share information.
For details, go to Configure class settings.