Google Drive Portable1 Recommended Answer
I made a portable version of this that is updated, and runs as an .exe file.
Download it here:
It is a SFX Archive (Self Extracting), one it's extracted go to the folder it created and double click the exe file.
Give it awhile, as it needs to create all the data files as it would need to if you were installing it onto your programs list as an administrator, but in this case we are installing it to the same folder. Anyways, after it opens up sign in as you usually would, and enjoy. Note: You will have to change the default download and upload folder to somewhere that doesn't require administrator permission (for obvious reasons).
What's really nice about this portable version is: You can open as many as you want and you can use more than 1 Google Drive account on a single computer.
Now, I'll be honest, I'm going to be lazy and I'll probably never update this file after it's outdated, but what I will do is tell you how to fix the outdated error yourself.
Create your own portable edition:
1. On a computer you have administrator rights, Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive"
If you don't have a folder named Program Files (x86) then your computer is 32-bit most likely, so go to: "C:\Program Files\Google\Drive" instead
2. You're looking for two files, depending on what bit your computer is (64 or 32), you will see a file named "googledrivesync64.dll" if you have a 64 bit computer, or if you have a 32 bit computer you'll see "googledrivesync32.dll" the other file you need is "googledrivesync.exe".
3. Copy both files into a folder (this folder will be your portable Google Drive folder), then you're done, you have made yourself a Portable Google Drive!
4. However, this portable version doesn't create a unique process, and you cannot create multiple instances of this program like the original one I made. (Basically, you cannot open up the portable version 5 times and expect 5 different Google Drive programs to pop up and work independently of each other.)
Time for the virus scan to show you can trust me:
Reason for the 1 detection:
I'm using VMware Thinapp which I used to make portable it basically emulating a computer file system, which probably is why it's setting off the one detection, but I don't know why.
If you want to add onto this, please do.
Some community members might have badges that indicate their identity or level of participation in a community.
Member levels indicate a user's level of participation in a forum. The greater the participation, the higher the level. Everyone starts at level 1 and can rise to level 10. These activities can increase your level in a forum:
- Post an answer.
- Having your answer selected as the best answer.
- Having your post rated as helpful.
- Vote up a post.
- Correctly mark a topic or post as abuse.
Having a post marked and removed as abuse will slow a user's advance in levels.
View profile in forum?
To view this member's profile, you need to leave the current Help page.
Report abuse in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To report abuse, you need to leave the current Help page.
Reply in forum?
This comment originated in the Google Product Forum. To reply, you need to leave the current Help page.