Change your sync settings
You can choose which folders sync or change the download and upload rates of your sync in Google Drive.
Choose folders to sync
Everything in "My Drive" will sync to your Google Drive folder, unless you choose to sync only some folders or subfolders.
- Start Google Drive.
- On a Mac, go to Finder Applications Google Drive.
- On a PC, go to Start Programs Google Drive.
- Click the Google Drive icon .
- On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.
- On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.
- In the top right, click More
- Click Preferences Sync Options My Drive.
- Click to choose which folders or subfolders will sync:
- OPTION 1: "Sync everything in My Drive."
- OPTION 2: "Sync only these folders."
- If you choose OPTION 2, click the box to the left of the folder names to choose what folders will sync.
- Click Apply to confirm your changes.
Change download & upload rates
If other programs on your computer seem slower when you sync Google Drive, you can limit your download or upload rate.
Click the Google Drive icon .
On a Mac, the icon is usually in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.
On a PC, the icon is usually in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.
In the top right, click More Preferences.
Click Advanced Network settings.
Click the button next to the"Download Rate" and "Upload Rate" option you want:
To use a slower rate, choose Limit to and use the arrows to change the rate. The numbers are measured in kilobytes per second.
To use a faster rate, choose Don't limit.
Evan is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.