Turn on notifications in a spreadsheet
Set notifications to find out when other people have changed your spreadsheets, and see what they’ve modified.
This feature is not available in Google Docs or Slides.
You can only set up notifications for yourself. You won’t get notifications when you make changes on your spreadsheet, but you’ll get notifications when others make changes.
- On your computer, open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- At the top, click Tools Notification rules.
- In the window that appears, select "when" you want to receive notifications. Notify you when:
- Any changes are made: Set notifications when someone makes a change to a spreadsheet.
- A user submits a form: Set notifications when someone fills out a form.
- In the window that appears, select "how often" you want to receive notifications. Notify you with:
- Email - daily digest: Send a daily summary of all changes.
- Email - right away: Send an email for every change.
- Click Save.
See who makes changes
You can see who makes changes to your spreadsheet, depending on your level of access to a spreadsheet.
- If you’re an editor: You can see the usernames of people who make changes.
- If you’re a viewer: You can set notifications but can’t see usernames.
If you want to set more specific notification rules, for example when someone modifies a certain range of cells, use Apps Script.