Important: This article is referring to a feature available to users on work accounts through the Gemini Enterprise and Gemini Business add-ons, and to users on personal accounts through Google One AI Premium.
This feature is also available through our early access testing program, Google Workspace Labs.
On Google Sheets, enhanced Smart Fill suggestions makes manual text processing tasks easier. It automatically detects the relationship between incomplete column pairs. It also uses AI to predict the remaining values, which allows them to be instantly filled.
This feature is available on desktop.
Before you use Gemini
- Gemini feature suggestions don’t represent Google’s views, and shouldn’t be attributed to Google.
- Don’t rely on Gemini features as medical, legal, financial or other professional advice.
- Gemini features may suggest inaccurate or inappropriate information. Your feedback makes Gemini more helpful and safe.
- Enterprise end users can submit feedback about their experience using this feature. End users are informed before they submit feedback that the feedback data shouldn’t contain personal, sensitive, or confidential information.
Use AI to fill out your Sheets
You can see enhanced Smart Fill suggestions in two ways:
- Once an edit has been made in the file.
- Live suggestions: Enhanced Smart Fill can appear while you're doing manual text entry. It appears as soon as Sheets sees it has a prediction available.
Important: The outline indicates the range Sheets can predict and you can hover over the icon to see the fill suggestions.
When you see enhanced Smart Fill suggestions, you can:
- Accept the suggestion by clicking the suggestion bubble.
- Reject the suggestion by clicking the cancel icon on the expanded suggestion pill to reject that suggestion for the range.
Example use cases of enhanced Smart Fill:
- Categorize feedback by theme
- Organize news articles by topic
- Convert address data to consistent format
- Extract phone numbers from text fields
- Enhanced Smart Fill can only detect and support English values.
- To trigger enhanced Smart Fill detection, a table must have at least 3 example rows with 2 distinct column values to be filled with suggested values.
- Enhanced Smart Fill can only be triggered on text columns. It will not run on numeric and date columns.
Give feedback on generated suggestions
If you get a suggestion that’s inaccurate or that you feel is unsafe, you can let us know by submitting feedback. Your feedback can help improve AI-assisted Workspace features and broader Google efforts in AI.
To submit feedback:
- Click the three dot menu in any suggestion.
- Click Send feedback to send feedback.
To provide general feedback on this feature, at the top, go to Help Help Sheets improve.
To report a legal issue, create a request or go to Send feedback Report an issue or Suggest an idea click Legal Help at the bottom of the sidebar.