YouTube reach line items help you reach viewers on YouTube and across the web with skippable in-stream and bumper ads optimized for efficient impressions. Compared to standard skippable ads, efficient reach ads are optimized to deliver even more impressions at lower CPMs and to drive greater reach or higher frequency based on your line item settings.
About YouTube reach
YouTube reach is unique from standard skippable ads based on the bidding option.
Bids for YouTube reach line items are set based on target CPM (cost per thousand impressions). Target CPM is a way to bid where you set how much you’re willing to pay every thousand times your ad is shown (this amount is your target CPM). Display & Video 360 will optimize your bids to help get as many impressions as possible using your target CPM amount. Some impressions may cost more or less than your target CPM, but altogether Display & Video 360 will try to keep your line item average CPM equal to or lower than the target CPM you set.
Create a YouTube reach line item
Creating a YouTube reach item has a few different steps from a regular YouTube & partners line item.
Set up your line item
Start in an existing insertion order or create a new one.
In your insertion order, click the New line item button.
Pick YouTube & partners video.
Enter the following information for your line item:
Name for your line item.
Select Brand awareness and reach as the line item type.
Set the Ad format to Efficient reach. Efficient reach combines bumper ads and skippable in-stream ads.
Configure your line item's settings
In the Targeting section, you'll see that the inventory source and device targeting are set automatically. You can click Add targeting to set other line-item level targeting options. Additional types of targeting are available in the line item's ad groups.
Device targeting and bid adjustments
Device targeting allows you to target your ads to people based on the device they're using. Click the pencil icon to edit, and ensure the box is checked for the devices you’d like to include in targeting.
If you want to bid a different amount for views on each device type, click the pencil icon to edit device targeting, then click Advanced settings to set targeted bid adjustments for tablets, smartphones, computers, and connected TVs.Example: If your standard bid is $0.10 CPV but you want your bid for smartphone views to be $0.12 CPV, you could set a smartphone bid adjustment of 20%.Line items with advanced operating system, device model, or carrier/network targeting are only eligible to serve on smartphone or tablet devices.
Configure your line item's settings:
Pick custom flight dates or use the same dates as the line item's insertion order.
Enter the line item's budget and pacing settings. After you save the line item, you can't change between daily and flight, but you can update the budget amount.
(Optional) Select the line item's frequency cap. Learn more about frequency caps in Display & Video 360.
(Optional) Add related videos to your line item. This adds a list of related videos below a YouTube ad.
Create your ad group and ads
- Select Create new ad group to set up an ad group for your line item:
- Enter a name for your ad group.
- Click Add targeting to configure ad-group level targeting. Learn more about targeting options for YouTube & partners line items.
- Set your target CPM bid, which is the average amount you want to pay every thousand times your ad is shown.
- Click Create new ad to pick a YouTube video to use as a creative and set the landing page:
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Search for a YouTube video or paste a YouTube URL. Ad format is automatically determined based on the length of your video creative.
- Enter the display URL and landing page URL for your ad.
- (Optional for Campaign Manager 360 users) Use the Campaign Manager 360 tracking ad field to select an existing tracking ad you'd like to use to see enhanced metrics in Campaign Manager 360 .
- (Optional) Use the Click-tracker URL field to set up third-party click tracking. The click tracker must redirect to the same URL as your landing page URL.
- Select either an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or an image that you manually upload as your companion banner.
- (Optional) Add a call-to-action (CTA) overlay.
- Enter the text for your CTA, which can contain up to 10 characters including spaces. The CTA should be a compelling action that directs users to the website specified in your landing page URL.
- Enter the text for your headline, which can contain up to 15 characters including spaces. The headline should promote your product or service.
- Click Done to create the ad.
- If you'd like to use multiple ads, click Create new ad again and repeat the steps above. If you use multiple ads, Display & Video 360 will optimize ad rotation based on views. Get more reach for your budget by including at least one short video ad (6 seconds or shorter) and a long video ad (7 seconds or longer).
- Click Done to create the ad group.
- Click Create to save your new line item.
Reporting for YouTube reach line items
YouTube reach line items use the same reporting options as regular YouTube & partners line items. Learn more