Create TrueView for action line items
TrueView for action line items help drive leads and conversions by adding prominent CTAs (calls-to-action) and headline text overlays to your TrueView ads. You can encourage customers to explore your product or service, share their contact information, and take other actions valuable to your business.
About TrueView for action
TrueView for action is unique from regular TrueView in-stream ads based on the ad format and bidding options.
Ad format: TrueView for action ads are made up of the following components:
- Headlines promote your product or service and are the primary line of text next to your video ad. They can contain up to 15 characters including spaces.
- CTAs direct users to the website you specify as your landing page URL and appear alongside the headline. They can be up to 10 characters including spaces.
- End screens display after a viewer reaches the end of your ad for 5 seconds on mobile devices and 7 seconds on desktop. They are generated automatically based on your YouTube channel.
Bidding: Bids are set based on either maximizing conversions or target CPA (cost per acquisition). Both of these automated bidding strategies optimize your bids for conversions rather than views in order to drive clicks and relevant conversions on your websites.
- Maximize conversions (recommended): Display & Video 360 automatically sets bids to help get the most conversions for your campaign while spending your budget. This bid strategy uses advanced machine learning to optimize bids and offers auction-time bidding capabilities that tailor bids for every auction.
- Target CPA: You set the average amount you’re willing to pay for a conversion, and Display & Video 360 then automatically sets your bids to give you as many conversions as possible at your targeted cost-per-acquisition. Target CPA is only suggested if you have robust conversion data in your Display & Video 360 advertiser.
More details about Maximize conversions bidding
Note: When you’re using Maximize conversions, check your daily budget amount. Maximize conversions will try to fully spend your daily budget, so if you’re currently spending much less than your budget, your spend could increase significantly.
More details about target CPA bidding
Target CPA bidding uses conversion data from your campaign, based on all of the TrueView-enabled Floodlight activities you set up, to predict the likelihood that an engaged user will convert. Display & Video 360 uses this prediction to manage your bids to maximize conversions at your target CPA.
Target CPA is optimized based on TrueView conversions, including clicks and engagements. View-through conversions aren't included in target CPA optimizations.
Your actual CPA may be above or below your target CPA. This is because:
- Your actual CPA depends on factors outside of Google’s control, like changes to your website, your ads, or increased competition in ad auctions.
- Your actual conversion rate can be lower than the predicted conversion rate.
Create a TrueView for action line item
Creating a TrueView for action line item has a few different steps from a regular TrueView line item based on the bidding options and ad setup.
- Start in an existing insertion order or create a new one.
- In your insertion order, click the New line item button.
- In the page that opens, pick TrueView. Make sure that you've accepted the terms for using TrueView.
- In the following page, enter the following information for your line item:
- Name for your line item.
- Select Website conversions as the line item type.
- The Ad format will be set to in-stream or video discovery for TrueView.
- Click Next.
- In the Targeting section, you'll see that the inventory source is set automatically. You can click Add targeting to set other line-item level targeting options. Additional types of targeting are available in the line item's ad groups.
- Configure your line item's settings:
- (Optional) Pick custom flight dates or use the same dates as the line item's insertion order.
- Enter the line item's daily budget and pacing settings.
- In the Bidding section, choose either maximize conversions or target CPA as your bid strategy. If you choose target CPA, set your target bid.
- (Optional) Select a mobile, desktop, or tablet bid adjustment to set if your line item can serve on these devices.
- (Optional) Select the line item's frequency cap. Learn more about frequency caps in Display & Video 360.
- Select the TrueView-enabled Floodlight activity you want to use to count conversions.
TrueView for action line items are optimized based on all of the TrueView-enabled Floodlight activities in your advertiser, not just the activity you select to use with the line item.You should disable TrueView tracking for a specific Floodlight activity if you don’t want your TrueView for action line items to optimize against it.
- Select Create new ad group to set up an ad group for your line item:
- Enter a name for your ad.
- The ad format will be set to in-stream ads.
- Click Add targeting to configure ad-group level targeting. Learn more about targeting options for TrueView line items.
- If you're using target CPA bidding, enter a target CPA for your ad group in the Bidding section. Leave this section blank to use the bid value you set for the entire line item.
- Click Create new ad to pick a YouTube video to use as a creative, set the landing page, and add a CTA and headline:
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Search for a YouTube video or paste a YouTube URL. Videos must be 10 seconds or longer.
- Enter the display URL and landing page URL for your ad.
- (Optional for Campaign Manager users) For in-stream ads use the Campaign Manager tracking ad field to select an existing tracking ad you'd like to use to see enhanced metrics in Campaign Manager.
- (Optional) For in-stream ads use the Click-tracker URL field to set up third-party click tracking. The click tracker must redirect to the same URL as your landing page URL.
- Enter the text for your CTA, which can contain up to 10 characters including spaces. The CTA should be a compelling action that directs users to the website specified in your final URL.
- Enter the text for your headline, which can contain up to 15 characters including spaces. The headline should promote your product or service.
- Select an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or one that you manually upload as your companion banner.
- Click Done to create the ad.
- (Optional) If you'd like to use multiple ads, click Create new ad again and repeat the steps above. If you use multiple ads, Display & Video 360 will optimize ad rotation based on views.
- Click Done to create the ad group.
- Click Create to save your new line item.
When starting a new line item or making changes to bids, targeting, or ads, allow for 7 to 10 days before evaluating performance.
TrueView for action line items use the same reporting options as regular TrueView line items. Learn more
Conversions may take several days to appear in reporting due to delayed interactions between a person’s device device and Google. In addition, users don’t always take an action immediately after viewing your ad. When reviewing conversion reports for TrueView for action ads, note that the previous 7 days of conversion data may not be complete yet.
Due to the nature of the conversion-based bidding options for action line items, some metrics are measured differently for TrueView for action than other types of TrueView line items:
- For TrueView for action ads: The number of clicks on the ad or 10 seconds of viewing time. If both happen, only the click is counted.
- For all other TrueView ads: The number of clicks on interactive video elements, such as teasers or expanding cards, that don't take users to an external site.
The number of times users converted based on a 30-day lookback window. View-through conversions are not included in this metric. You can use the separate View-through conversions metric to see this data.
This count is likely to be higher than the conversions for other types of line items in Display & Video 360 because with TrueView, a "conversion" is counted each time a user converts, rather than just once per user per line item. For instance, if a user viewed your ad once and then made 3 purchases, 3 Conversions would be counted.
For TrueView for action ads, Engagements that convert are also included using a 3-day lookback window. Learn more about conversions for TrueView for action
Viewing at least 10 seconds of a video ad counts as leading to a website conversion if the conversion happens within 3 days of the engagement. For users who click on your ad, conversions will still be attributed over your current conversion window.