Create a first-party audience based on campaign activity or a frequency cap, which excludes users to limit the number of times an ad is shown to the same person. Once created, you can target the new first-party audience list in multiple line items, both current and future.
To create an activity-based audience:
- From your Display & Video 360 advertiser, click Audiences > All Audiences on the left menu.
- Click New Audience > Activity-based audiences.
- Enter a name, membership duration, and description.
- The audience is based only on activity that falls within the membership duration timeframe.
- Select an audience type:
- Campaign activity: based on eligible clicks, conversions, and impressions (from users on first-party remarketing lists).
- Frequency cap: exclude users based on the number of impressions they were served across different media types, format types, identity spaces, and devices. Can only be negatively targeted.
How is this different from setting frequency caps on individual line items, insertion orders, or campaigns?Audience frequency capping works across campaigns. You set audience frequency capping to the specific line items that you want to exclude users from.
If you wish to apply frequency capping to a single line item, insertion order, or campaign, we recommend using the frequency capping feature when setting up this object. Learn more
- Under Audience Definition > Campaign dimensions, click Add filters to narrow to add insertion orders or line items to the dimensions. If no insertion orders or line items are added, then all campaigns will be included.
- (For campaign activity only) Under Audience Definition > Campaign metrics, click Add rule to narrow to specify which type of campaign activity to narrow by.
Learn more about campaign metrics
Metric Description Impressions
The number of times that a user’s client (browser or mobile device) sent a ping to our ad server that creative content was requested and has started to download during the specified date range.
- If a user starts to load a webpage then closes the browser before the creative has started to download, an impression is not recorded.
The number of times that users took a desired action during the reporting period, after seeing or clicking on an ad. Each action is defined by a Floodlight activity. A conversion is only counted if the ad impression or click falls within the lookback windows set for the placement where it occurred. For sales activities, Floodlight might count more than one conversion per event. For example, you can set up Floodlight to count the number of items purchased as the number of conversions for a single event.
Clicks The number of times a person has clicked on an ad. Active View Viewable Impressions
The number of impressions on the site that were viewable out of all measurable impressions.Display ads are considered viewable when at least 50% of the ad is visible for at least 1 second. For large display ads of 242,500 pixels or more, the ad is considered viewable when at least 30% of the ad is visible for at least 1 second. Video ads are considered viewable when at least 50% of the ad is visible while the video is playing for at least 2 consecutive seconds.
All viewable ads are measurable, because you can't confirm that an ad has met the criteria for viewability unless it can be measured.
Active View 10 Second Impressions Visible The number of impressions that were played to, and visible at, 10 seconds into the video. Active View Midpoint Impressions Visible The number of impressions that were played to, and visible at, the midpoint of the video. Active View Third Quartile Impressions Visible The number of impressions that were played to, and visible at, the third quartile of the video. Active View Completed Impressions Visible The number of impressions that were played to, and visible at, the completion of the video. Active View Completed Impressions Audible and Visible The number of audible and visible impressions that were played to, and considered audible and visible to, the completion of the video.
- When you are done, select Save. The first-party audience appears on the All Audiences page.
Note that it may take up to 6 hours for the events to become available and audiences to be updated accordingly.
Campaign activity audience type
- If the line item or insertion order being used in creating the activity-based audience targets demographics or a Google-created audience, then the users (from the line item or insertion order) will not be included in the new audience. (Only applies to impression-based audiences)
- YouTube line items are not supported
- Line items targeting remarketing lists and demographics at the same time are not supported
Frequency cap audience type
- It can take up to 48 hours for an activity-based audience to start building (once there are conversions on the line item or insertion orders)
If the insertion order or line item being used to build the activity-based audience is targeting a Google audience (for example, affinity or in-market), the users from that insertion order or line item will not be added to the audience. However, frequency cap audiences can be collected from insertion orders and line items targeting demographics.