Bumper ads are a short video ad format designed to allow you to reach more customers and increase awareness about your brand by using a short, memorable message. With videos of 6 seconds or less, bumper ads let you reach people with bite-sized messages, while providing a minimal impact on their viewing experience.
- Videos must be 6 seconds or shorter and hosted on YouTube. Viewers can’t skip your ad.
- A view of your bumper ad won’t increment the video’s YouTube view count.
- Bids are set based on target CPM (cost per thousand impressions). Target CPM is a way to bid where you set how much you’re willing to pay every thousand times your ad is shown (this amount is your target CPM). Display & Video 360 will optimize your bids to help get as many impressions as possible using your target CPM amount. Some impressions may cost more or less than your target CPM, but altogether Display & Video 360 will try to keep your line item average CPM equal to or lower than the target CPM you set.
- You can't build remarketing lists off of views to bumper ads.
- Bumper ads can help increase awareness about your brand. They often work well when run along with related YouTube ads.
- The short format can be especially effective on mobile, where people are often watching videos on the go.
Create YouTube & partners line items for bumper ads
Bumper ads are available with skippable in-stream ads in YouTube & partners video line item with the brand awareness and reach objective and efficient reach line item subtype. Video ads 6 seconds or shorter are available to serve as bumper ads. Learn more about YouTube efficient reach line items
Report on bumper ads
You can use either the General report or the YouTube report for bumpers. If you’re using the YouTube report, make sure you select eCPM as a metric since it’s not included by default.
Views and views-related metrics are not available for bumpers because they are purchased on a CPM basis.