Getting started guide
Create an ad unit
These instructions show you how to create an ad unit for web pages and mobile apps.
To create an ad unit:
In your DFP Small Business account, click the Inventory tab. The "Ad units" table is displayed.
Click New ad unit.
Enter a name, description (optional), and size.
- The name you create is what will be used in the ad tag. Only letters, numbers, underscores, hyphens, periods, asterisks, forward slashes, backslashes, exclamations, left angle brackets, colons and parentheses are allowed.
- Ad unit names can be up to 100 characters in length.
- It's not possible to change an ad unit name once you have created it. Instead, you can archive the ad unit and create another one with the new name.
- Each name must be unique; you can't re-use names you've used before.
- Select Fixed size and then enter the size of the creatives the ad unit can host.
- Select Smart Banner if the ad unit is for a mobile app and you want the ad unit to fill the width of the screen and have a fixed height. The Google Mobile Ads SDK has native support for Smart Banners and will add “pillarboxing” (black bars to the left and right of the banner) to the creative as necessary to fill the entire current width of the banner view.
Define a target window, which identifies the browser window where an ad's landing page will open. This value is set as the target attribute of the ad link. Values include:
_top: The target URL will load in the full body of the window, breaking out of any potential framesets.
_blank: The target URL will open in a new, unnamed window.
If the ad unit is going to be in an application, “Target window” is ignored. When the ad serves on Android devices, an external browser window opens; when the ad serves on iOS devices, an in-app web view opens.
Associate the ad unit with one or more placements by clicking include next to the appropriate placements.
- If you'd like to maximize the revenue of unsold and non-guaranteed inventory with AdSense, select the Maximize revenue of unsold and remnant inventory with AdSense checkbox. Note that AdSense competition does not currently work for mobile app inventory.
Ad units enabled for AdSense will only compete with AdSense if certain criteria are met.
If all ad units in your network are enabled for AdSense by default, the "AdSense inventory settings" field will display
New ad units must be on a site for seven days to collect a sufficient amount of data for check inventory queries. However, DFP Small Business currently uses 28 days of prior traffic for forecasting. As a result, forecasting accuracy will peak after four weeks.