Analyze past and future impressions (Beta)
View historical traffic alongside future impression opportunities to find better ways to segment and package inventory. On the Traffic forecast page, you’ll see a visual representation of your entire network’s impressions (Run of network); you can filter by a specific component (such as an ad unit) for more granular insights.
The future half of the chart represents opportunities for ads to serve, along with the impressions that are already reserved. This data can help coordinate your sales organization on how best to sell in the future. For example:
- On the Traffic forecast page, you identify segments of inventory that are growing and declining.
- You compare the performance of those segments with their current sell-through rates.
- Based on your analysis in steps 1 and 2, you encourage the sales team to sell more or less of certain segments accordingly.
See the traffic forecast
To get started, expand the image and follow along in the steps below.
In DFP, click Inventory (1 in the image above) Traffic forecast (2).
- The Traffic forecast page appears, with historical traffic on the left (3) and forecasted future traffic on the right (4). Note that historical traffic includes unfilled impressions, and forecasted traffic includes impressions that have been reserved by existing line items. Learn more.
- The overall impression opportunity numbers are above the chart, along with the number and percentage of impressions that are already reserved (5).
- The smaller chart at the bottom (6) shows the traffic for the entire supported timeframe. For traffic forecasting, DFP currently supports up to 18 months of historical traffic and 90 days of future traffic. Note that there’s a limit of 90 days of historical data when filtering by Requested ad size, Key-value, or Video content.
- Hover over any point in the charts (7) to see the traffic for that day.
- To see the traffic for a specific component such as an ad unit or a category of devices, click the Filter icon (8) and then select the component from the dropdown.
To forecast on all video traffic, filter by “Requested ad size” and select all the video ad sizes (these are the sizes that end with “v”, such as “300x500v”).
- If needed, change the range of dates to appear in the main chart (9).
- Click the Download icon (10) to export a CSV file containing a text version of the chart. You can use this data to draw your own graphs and consume them in your systems.
- Historical ad opportunities = Total impressions + Unfilled impressions. Learn more about these metrics.
As the traffic forecast references a sample of the overall data, you may see some discrepancies when compared with the numbers in DFP reporting. If you notice large discrepancies, please click Send feedback in the lower righthand corner of the Traffic forecast page and include the relevant numbers.
- Forecasted ad opportunities are the same as “Forecasted impressions” in the Future sell-through report. Therefore, if you compare the “Future total” on the Traffic forecast page to the Check inventory numbers, you may see some of the differences described in this article.
- Reserved ad opportunities are the same as “Reserved impressions” in the Future sell-through report.