Create an ad unit
An ad unit is the basic unit of inventory in DoubleClick for Publishers. You can group one or more ad slots as an ad unit, which is one block of inventory that can be targeted by line items.
- In the "Ad units" section of the Inventory tab, choose an ad unit under which you'd like to create a new ad unit. Or, do not choose any ad unit to create a top-level ad unit.
- Click New ad unit.
- Select One level below... to create an ad unit below a selected ad unit.
- Select Current level to create an ad unit at the same hierarchy level as a selected ad unit.
- Enter a Code, which is used to identify the ad unit in the associated ad tag. Once created, the ad unit code cannot be edited so define a code that is easy to identify. For example,
Leaderboard_BTF.Ad unit codes can be up to 100 characters in length and are not case-sensitive.
Only letters, numbers, underscores, hyphens, periods, asterisks, forward slashes, backslashes, exclamations, left angle brackets, right angle brackets, colons and parentheses are allowed.
For a given ad unit level, each code must be unique; you can't reuse codes you've used before on the same ad unit level. You can reuse codes if they occur on a different ad unit hierarchy. For example, you can reuse
homeif it occurs in a different path of the hierarchy, such as
- Enter a Name for the ad unit, used in targeting and reports. You can change the name at any time. As with the code, publishers typically use naming conventions that give information about the ad unit's location.
- Enter a description for the ad unit, if needed, up to 4,000 characters in length.
- Set the Sizes to be associated with this ad unit to help DFP filter the list of ad units for traffickers. This list is optional and will not affect ad serving.
To add a new ad unit size to your network, simply create a new ad unit and give it the new size, or set the new size for an existing ad unit.
- Select Fixed size to define a list of sizes for creatives you expect this ad unit to serve. Include the Out-of-page size for creatives that don’t fit in a traditional banner space or browser window, including pop-ups, floating line items, and interstitials.
- Select Smart Banner if the ad unit is for a mobile app and you want the ad unit to have a fixed height but fill the width of the screen. Learn more
- Define a target window, which sets the target attribute of the ad's click-through link to tell the browser where to open the ad's landing page.
This selection follows the default target window set in the "Network settings" section of the Inventory tab. If the ad unit is in an app, the target window is ignored. For Android and iOS apps, ads load in a new, unnamed browser window.
- _top: The landing page will load in the full body of the window, breaking out of any framesets.
- _blank: The landing page will open in a new, unnamed window.
- Add optional features and settings to the ad unit as needed.
- Placements: Click include next to one or more placement names to associate your new ad unit.
- Special ad unit: Requires traffickers to explicitly target the ad unit in order for line items to serve. This feature is not available in DFP Small Business. Learn more
- Ad unit frequency caps: Click Add a labeling rule to limit the number of impressions displayed to users for creatives that share the defined labels. Learn more
- Refresh rate: For mobile app inventory, set a refresh rate to determine how often a new ad impression is generated. If you select Refresh rate in seconds, DFP will auto-populate a value of 60, which you can change to 30 - 120 seconds. Learn more
- Labels: Add labels to the ad unit so that creative wrappers can be applied when creatives are served to the ad unit. Learn more
- Teams: If your network uses Teams, associate this ad unit to restrict access.
New ad units must received traffic on your site for at least 28 days before inventory forecasts are optimized.