The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) defines VPAID (Video Player-Ad Interface Definition) as a standard that allows a video ad and a video player to communicate with each other. VPAID defines a uniform run-time environment so that a compliant player can accept any compliant advertisement from any other party. DFP supports VPAID 2.0 in HTML5.
VPAID creatives should be used in a linear VAST ad, and they require a VAST template, either 3.0 or 2.0. VPAID is necessary for rich media ads that are displayed concurrently in a video player. For example, suppose you have an interactive overlay ad that should interrupt video content playback when the user interacts with the ad. Among other things, VPAID:
- Allows interactive elements in video ads in a video player
- Allows the ad to request that the video player pause the content.
- Allows the ad to update the video player when the ad finishes, so that the player can resume the video content.
- Allows the video player to override the ad when the ad takes too long, so that the user's experience isn't affected negatively. In this case, VPAID would stop the ad so that it can unpause the video content.
- Allows the resizing of the ad (VPAID 2).
Set up VPAID
In order to allow VPAID ads serving to the IMA SDK to interrupt the video content, you need to handle the following events for the ads manager (HTML5):
In addition, you need to choose the allowed security level for VPAID creatives using
google.ima.settings.setVpaidMode, as explained here. Note that VPAID security mode can affect some creatives' ability to render properly.
Create a VAST ad with a linear VPAID creative
You can create a linear VAST ad and attach a VPAID-compliant creative by following these steps:
- On the Delivery tab, select a video line item.
- Select Creative sets.
- Click Add creative sets > new creative set.
- Select the Linear creative set type, then select VPAID.
- Enter the click-through URL, and click Test to test it.
- Enter a Duration. This value should match the duration of the video assets, within two seconds. If the difference is more than two seconds, you can override this requirement by selecting the checkbox labeled "Allow creative duration to differ from asset duration."
- Optional steps:
- Click Save.
Create a VPAID 2 HTML5 creative
DFP supports trafficking VPAID 2 HTML5 creatives through VAST video redirects only.
Report on VPAID creatives
DFP provides reports for impressions and clicks for VPAID creatives. Event tracking should be handled by the creative.