Create a video ad unit
To create a new video ad unit in DFP, follow these steps:
- On the Inventory tab, click Ad units in the side panel.
- Click New ad unit, and select the level where you're creating the ad unit: one level below network or at the current level.
- Top-level ad units are the broadest sections in your network, and the next-level ad units are more specific. Learn more about designing your inventory hierarchy.
- A line item that targets a particular ad unit is eligible to show on any descendants of the ad unit, provided the sizes match. Special ad units are an exception to this rule and must be explicitly targeted.
- If you see the option to select web or mobile, select Web.
- Name the ad unit. The name may not include spaces, since it's included in ad tags, and it can't be changed once you save the ad unit.
- Optional: Enter a description for the ad unit.
- Optional: Add regular ad sizes (not video or companion). If your video ad unit will include ad sizes other than the video and its companions, enter those other sizes in the Sizes field, separated by commas. Example: 120x240, 728x90.
Important: Don't enter companion sizes here. You'll enter companions in the next step.
- Add video and companion ad sizes. Expand the Video (VAST) sizes option and follow these steps to enter your video ad information:
- In the Master field, enter the size of the video player. Suggested video sizes appear as you type. Be sure to enter the size of your video player in its default resolution, not full-screen. The letter "v" appears automatically at the end of all video sizes, indicating that it's a video size and that it's capable of playing back videos sent in the VAST format.
- If there are ad slots on the same page for companion ads, enter these sizes in the Companion sizes field next to the master field.
- If you have multiple video players on a page, click Add size and enter the master and companion sizes. It isn't possible to use the same master video size twice in a single ad unit. Also, it isn't possible to use the same companion size twice for a single master size.
- Define a target window. The target window specifies whether an ad's landing page will open in a new window or in the current window. This value is set as the target attribute of the ad link. Values include:
- _top: The target URL will load in the full body of the window, breaking out of any potential framesets.
- _blank: The target URL will open in a new, unnamed window.
- Optional steps:
- To require traffickers to explicitly target the ad unit in order for line items to serve to it, select Special ad unit.
- Associate the ad unit with one or more placements by clicking Add next to the appropriate placements.
- Specify a Partner company if you want to use revenue sharing for this ad unit.
- Set up ad unit frequency caps.
- Click Save.
Next, set up revenue sharing if applicable, or move on to learn about video ad tags.