Import media and metadata files
Once your media and metadata files are prepared, you will need to upload them to your account.
- Be sure you understand how to select and prepare media files
- Sign in to your account and navigate to the Items manager
- Click the arrow next to Add items and then choose Advanced import
- Click Upload Media to open the Google Developers Console in a new window
- Simply drag and drop image files from your computer into the file list area, or click Upload and select files
Advanced users can also use the gsutil command line tool, a useful and faster method if you have a very large number of files to upload.
As a reminder, items you upload at this step of the process are private and are not publicly accessible.
After uploading your media files, you must upload the associated metadata by following the directions below:
- Be sure you understand how to prepare a metadata file
- Navigate or go back to the Items page
- Click the arrow next to Add items and then click Advanced import
- Click Upload CSV/XML
- Choose the metadata file from your computer
If the metadata file has formatting problems
An error dialog will appear describing any errors, and where they appear in the metadata file. You will need to fix these errors by correcting entries in your spreadsheet, CSV or XML file before it can be successfully uploaded.
If the metadata file processes correctly
You will see a dialog that summarizes the number of items in the file. If the numbers look correct, click Import and your items will be imported. Visit the Items page to choose how and where the items should be published.
Keep your CSV or XML metadata file for future use, you can add or modify any metadata for an item, except the "item ID" – your object's unique identifier in the system. When you upload a modified metadata file, we automatically detect which items are new or changed, and only perform the necessary updates. You do not need to worry about creating duplicates.