As an administrator, you can block user access to some system apps on managed mobile devices. System apps are preinstalled apps such as Clock and Calculator for Android, or FaceTime and iTunes Store for iOS. Many of these apps can't be uninstalled, but you can allow or block access to them.
This feature is available with Cloud Identity Premium edition. Compare editions
You can block all Android system apps, allow some, or specify a custom list. When you block system apps, the apps aren’t uninstalled, but users and other apps can’t access them.
- Some system apps are critical to device function and can't be blocked. Review the list.
- This setting applies only when a device is first enrolled. If you add or remove system apps to the allow or disable lists, these changes aren't applied to devices already enrolled in advanced mobile management.
Before you begin: To apply the setting for certain users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Devices.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit.
- On the left, click Mobile & endpointsSettingsAndroid settings.
- Click Apps and data sharingSystem apps.
- Choose an option:
- To make all system apps available, select Allow all. With this option, you can still block specific system apps. Use this option if you want to make most system apps available.
- To remove access to all system apps, select Disable all. With this option, all but critical system apps are blocked. If you want to allow specific apps, choose the next option.
Note: This setting doesn’t remove access to Android apps you add to the Web and mobile apps list. For details, see Add mobile apps to your managed app list.
- To remove access to most system apps, select Allow certain system apps. Then, to specify allowed system apps, enter the app package name of the app you want to allow and click Allow app. If you don’t know the package name of an app, check the mobile device details in your Admin console. If the app isn’t listed, contact the device manufacturer or reseller.
- To override the preceding options and block specific system apps, under Disable certain system apps, enter the app package name and then click Disable app. The apps you add here are blocked.
- Click Save. If you configured a child organizational unit, you might be able to Inherit or Override a parent organizational unit's settings.
The change typically takes effect in minutes, but it might take up to 24 hours to be reflected across all of your users’ devices.
Block or allow iOS system apps (company-owned devices only)
Some system apps are critical for a device to function correctly. You can’t disallow these critical system apps:
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.