What you need
- Chromecast connected to Google Home. Here’s how to link TVs to Google Home.
- TV that supports HDMI-CEC with CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) turned on.
- Common TVs that support CEC include: AOC, Hitachi, Insignia, ITT, LG, Magnavox, Mitsubishi, Onkyo, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Sylvania, Toshiba, and Vizio.
- CEC is often turned off by default. Typically you can turn on CEC in the TVs settings. The location of CEC settings varies depending on the TV.
- If you're not sure whether your TV supports CEC, or how to turn on CEC, consult the TV manufacturer.
- Plug Chromecast into a wall outlet or other power source so your Chromecast remains on when you turn off the TV off. If you plug Chromecast into the USB port on your TV, it will turn off along with your TV and won't respond to your voice commands.
- If Chromecast is connected to a soundbar or AVR, turn on CEC on that device.
Turn TV on and off using voice commands
|To do this...||Say this: "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then...|
|Turn on TV||
"Turn on/the/my TV," "Turn on/the/my <device name>"
"Power on/the/my TV," "Power on/the/my <device name>"
|Turn off TV||
"Turn off/the/my TV," "Turn off/the/my <device name>"
"Power off/the/my TV," "Power off/the/my <device name>"
Note: When you turn off a TV, content stops casting to that TV. If you're playing content on other sources, that content remains playing.
Tips and tricks to turn your TV on and off
- If you've linked more than one TV to Google Home, you'll need to include the TV you're controlling in every voice command. Example: "Ok Google, turn on <Living room TV>".
- To avoid saying the TV name each time, you can set your media playback device and your commands will always control that device.
Fix a problemIf voice commands aren’t working, especially if they worked before,
- Make sure CEC is turned on (for some TVs, adjusting certain settings can turn off CEC automatically).
- Switch Chromecast to a different HDMI port.
- Unplug the TV, wait 10 minutes, and plug it back in.
- Try using a different voice command.
- If you’ve turned the TV on/off repeatedly during a short period of time, the voice commands may briefly stop working. Wait about 10 minutes before trying again.